Saturday, November 7, 2020

Week 45 Review: The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Wizardry

From Goodreads:
A charming historical fantasy with a tender love story at its core, from the author of Unnatural Magic.

Hard-drinking petty thief Dellaria Wells is down on her luck in the city of Leiscourt—again. Then she sees a want ad for a female bodyguard, and she fast-talks her way into the high-paying job. Along with a team of other women, she's meant to protect a rich young lady from mysterious assassins.

At first Delly thinks the danger is exaggerated, but a series of attacks shows there's much to fear. Then she begins to fall for Winn, one of the other bodyguards, and the women team up against a mysterious, magical foe who seems to have allies everywhere. 

My Review:
I loved reading this book! I know it's not technically a series-but it is set in the same world as C.M. Waggoner's first book, Unnatural Magic, but a generation later. And I loved being in this world of magic and trolls again! 

We follow Delly, who is pretty rough and tumble, who gets a pretty well paying job. The catch is that it's for an important lady, which means manners. Oh, and someone is trying to kill her. So that adds to the danger that Delly is facing. 

I loved her relationship with Winn, who's the daughter of 2 of the main characters from Unnatural Magic. Winn is a lady, though not a traditional human lady. So there's a class difference between them. The way that Delly has been raised well, she had certain schemes, but I really enjoyed how their relationship progressed! 

The way it ended, I really enjoyed it. There was always a question of why this was going on, and why this person in particular had done it. I really enjoyed how Delly maneuvered around the obstacles in her path, it made for a very satisfying ending! 

This was another great book by C.M. Waggoner, and I can't wait to read more by her! 

Author: C.M. Waggoner 
Read: November 2nd, 2020
Source: NetGalley  
Reason Why: Loved her first book, and it's a Historical Fiction 2020 Book, SAC 2020 Book, Sophomore Challenge Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Ace 
Expected Publication: January 12th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!