Saturday, November 7, 2020

Week 45 Reviews: The Girl from the Well, The Suffering


You may think me biased, being murdered myself. But my state of being has nothing to do with the curiosity toward my own species, if we can be called such. We do not go gentle, as your poet encourages, into that good night.

A dead girl walks the streets.

She hunts murderers. Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago.

And when a strange boy bearing stranger tattoos moves into the neighborhood so, she discovers, does something else. And soon both will be drawn into the world of eerie doll rituals and dark Shinto exorcisms that will take them from American suburbia to the remote valleys and shrines of Aomori, Japan.

Because the boy has a terrifying secret - one that would just kill to get out.

The Girl from the Well is A YA Horror novel pitched as "Dexter" meets "The Grudge", based on a well-loved Japanese ghost story. 

Breathtaking and haunting, Rin Chupeco's second novel is a chilling companion to her debut, The Girl from the Well.

The darkness will find you.

Seventeen-year-old Tark knows what it is to be powerless. But Okiku changed that. A restless spirit who ended life as a victim and started death as an avenger, she's groomed Tark to destroy the wicked. But when darkness pulls them deep into Aokigahara, known as Japan's suicide forest, Okiku's justice becomes blurred, and Tark is the one who will pay the price...

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading both of these stories! I just devoured them both, making my grand total of books read on November 1st, 4 books. And I wasn't even planning on reading The Sufferings initially, but I loved The Girl from the Well so much, well, I had to read it! 

I loved the way that these stories were told. The first book was from Okiku's perspective, but it was basically her watching the cousins, and it was almost like we were in Callie's head. And then in the 2nd book were in Tark's head.

These books are horror books, they have various forms of dead people. And there are a bunch of horror story moments, especially in the first book. But it's also about relationships, between Tark and Callie, Callie and Okiku, and Okiku and Tark. 

I enjoyed the plots of both books, the first focused on Tark's tattoos and possession, and the 2nd focusing on finding a friend in a haunted village. I loved both stories, but the 2nd one was a bit more intriguing, because there was a mystery, as to what happened in the town's past, to the characters in the recent past, and how they're going to survive. It was excellent to read!

I really enjoyed reading both of these books, they were really fantastic, and I think now I've read all of Rin Chupeco's currently published books, and I can't wait to read more! 

Author: Rin Chupeco
Series: The Girl from the Well #1, 2
Read: November 1st, 1st, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: I love her writing, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Books! And The Girl from the Well is a  DAC Book, and The Suffering is a End of Series 2020 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book! 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire 
Published: August 5th 2014, September 8th 2015

The Girl from the Well:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








The Suffering: 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!