Saturday, June 26, 2021

Week 25 Review: Wayward Son

From Goodreads:
The story is supposed to be over.

Simon Snow did everything he was supposed to do. He beat the villain. He won the war. He even fell in love. Now comes the good part, right? Now comes the happily ever after…

So why can't Simon Snow get off the couch?

What he needs, according to his best friend, is a change of scenery. He just needs to see himself in a new light…

That's how Simon and Penny and Baz end up in a vintage convertible, tearing across the American West.

They find trouble, of course. (Dragons, vampires, skunk-headed things with shotguns.) And they get lost. They get so lost, they start to wonder whether they ever knew where they were headed in the first place…

With Wayward Son, Rainbow Rowell has written a book for everyone who ever wondered what happened to the Chosen One after he saved the day. And a book for everyone who was ever more curious about the second kiss than the first. It's another helping of sour cherry scones with an absolutely decadent amount of butter.

Come on, Simon Snow. Your hero's journey might be over – but your life has just begun. 

My first review of Wayward Son
My Review:
I of course really enjoying reading this book again! I love Simon and Baz and Penny, an I loved their road trip around America. Simon is dealing with the fact that he's done being the chosen one, Baz is trying to keep Simon, and Penny, well, really, the whole gang learn a few harsh truths. 

I did love that Baz learned more about being a vampire, like keeping his fangs from descending while eating, which just means that he doesn't have to hide away while he's eating, Oh, and he learned that just feeing right off the vein doesn't automatically mean that there's going to be a new vampire, which means that he wouldn't have to kill, though if he did that, he'd have to have multiple sources because he's already pretty worse off by drinking animal blood!

One thing that I didn't like so much, is how the action scenes switched point of views. There'd be an event, and then the next perspective would start, and I wasn't sure how it all fit into things, and I know I missed a detail or two. Sometimes it felt like parts of the scene were skipped, and I had a hard time keeping track of what was going on.

That ending was just evil, and the synopsis of the next book has me worried. I have hope that Simon and Baz will make it through with their relationship intact, but with Simon thinking of leaving the magical world, I'm apprehensive! And I need to know the threat that Watford is facing! I'm hoping that Simon will learn the truth about his parentage! 

Loved reading this book, and I'm so excited for Any Way the Wind Blows next month! 

Author: Rainbow Rowell
Series: Simon Snow #2
Read: September 24th, 2019
Read: June 24th, 2021
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book!
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Published: September 24th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!