Saturday, June 19, 2021

Week 24 Review: Questland

From Goodreads:
YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A MAZE FULL OF TWISTY PASSAGES...
 
Literature professor Dr. Addie Cox is living a happy, if sheltered, life in her ivory tower when Harris Lang, the famously eccentric billionaire tech genius, offers her an unusual job. He wants her to guide a mercenary strike team sent to infiltrate his island retreat off the northwest coast of the United States. Addie is puzzled by her role on the mission until she understands what Lang has built:  Insula Mirabilis, an isolated resort where tourists will one day pay big bucks for a convincing, high-tech-powered fantasy-world experience, complete with dragons, unicorns, and, yes, magic.
 
Unfortunately, one of the island's employees has gone rogue and activated an invisible force shield that has cut off all outside communication. A Coast Guard cutter attempting to pass through the shield has been destroyed. Suspicion rests on Dominic Brand, the project's head designer— and Addie Cox's ex-boyfriend. Lang has tasked Addie and the mercenary team with taking back control of the island at any cost.
 
But Addie is wrestling demons of her own—and not the fantastical kind. Now, she must navigate the deadly traps of Insula Mirabilis as well as her own past trauma. And no d20, however lucky, can help Addie make this saving throw.

My Review:
I was really anticipating reading this book. I've really enjoyed her other series and I was excited to see what Carrie Vaughn would do with a more sci fi book. And it was a really great read! I loved to see this technology that makes it seem like magic!

Addie was a fantastic character. Her friend and her boyfriend were killed by a school shooter right in front of her, which understandably causes a trigger whenever she's reminded of guns being fired. But she's also a literary professor, knows the classics and myths and such, as well as being a pretty big geek/nerd. And her ex was one of the 3 leaders on Insula Mirabilis. So it's a mixed bag on how suitable a candidate she is for this mission.

One thing that I have to say is that the company's owner, Lang, really annoyed me and made me mad to differing degrees and at different times. I mean,  really? That's what you're going to spend your time and money on? With that paranoid atmosphere, it's like maybe that's not the best of thing to be doing in this kind of project? Given what happened with the mutiny, well, I'm not surprised happened!

All in all, I can see why all of this happened, I really enjoyed these characters, watching Addie shine with the various science created magic, and the rest of the team with the security stuff. And that ending, well, I enjoyed it, but I would've liked a little more at the end, just a little more detail. But I did thoroughly enjoy reading this book! 

I had such a great time reading this book, it was just so easy and great to read!

Author: Carrie Vaughn
Read: June 17th, 2021
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2021 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Mariner Books/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Expected Publication: June 22nd 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!