Saturday, March 12, 2022

Week 10 Review: A River Enchanted

From Goodreads:
Sarah J Maas's Crescent City meets Uprooted in acclaimed YA author Rebecca Ross's brilliant first adult fantasy.

Enchantments run deep on the magical Isle of Cadence: gossip is carried by the wind, plaid shawls can be as strong as armour, and the smallest cut of a knife can instill fathomless fear. The capricious spirits that live there find mirth in the lives of the humans who call the land home, but that mischief turns to malevolence as girls begin to go missing.

Adaira, heiress of the east, knows the spirits only answer to a bard's music, enticing them to return the missing girls. But there's only one bard capable of drawing the spirits forth by song: her childhood enemy Jack Tamerlaine.

He hasn't stepped foot on Cadence in ten long years, content to study music at the mainland university, but as Jack and Adaira reluctantly work together it becomes apparent the trouble with the spirits is far more sinister than first thought and an older, darker secret lurks beneath the surface, threatening to undo them all. 

My Review:
I enjoyed reading this book so much! I've loved all of her books to this point, and I loved this one as well! This was was so interesting to learn about, and I loved following all of these characters, and how they discovered secrets that were pretty vital!

It wasn't what I expected-I was imagining that it was going to be in a Venice type place, but it's actually Scottish inspired, with clans and plaids. I loved getting to know this world, with the spirits, and the history of war between the two clans on the island.

Adaira and Jack are childhood nemeses. But he's been off the island for so long. And while their reunion is bumpy, he's needed to be the bard for their side of the island. I really enjoyed watching them reconnect! 

As well as Adaira and Jack, we also got the perspective's of Adaira's cousin, Torin and his wife Sidra. Their story is going on alongside, because their daughter was one of the girls who was kidnapped. And he gets cut by a knife that takes away his voice, and she loses faith in the spirits. So they both had journeys to go on that I loved reading!

Oh, the secrets! I loved how they were vital to the plot, of why the kidnapping was going on. I guessed one of them, but that one big one, I had no clue! But I love what it meant for this world, and I'm excited to see how it's going to go from there!

I'm not sure if this is going to be a duology or a longer series. With all that we've learned in this book, and the way things are left off, I'm kinda leaning towards a duology, there's the two clans, and there's the hope of peace between them. I would love to spend more time in this world, but with a different plot!

Absolutely loved reading this book, and I can't wait for the sequel!

Author: Rebecca Ross 
Series: Elements of Cadence #1
Read: March 5th, 2022 
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Published: February 15th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!