Saturday, August 20, 2022

Week 33 Review: Into the Riverlands

From Goodreads:
Nghi Vo's Locus and Igynte Award Finalist, and Crawford and Hugo Award-Winning Series, The Singing Hills Cycle, continues...

Wandering cleric Chih of the Singing Hills travels to the riverlands to record tales of the notorious near-immortal martial artists who haunt the region. On the road to Betony Docks, they fall in with a pair of young women far from home, and an older couple who are more than they seem. As Chih runs headlong into an ancient feud, they find themselves far more entangled in the history of the riverlands than they ever expected to be.

Accompanied by Almost Brilliant, a talking bird with an indelible memory, Chih confronts old legends and new dangers alike as they learn that every story—beautiful, ugly, kind, or cruel—bears more than one face.

My Review:
This was a really great story! I loved following along Chih as they discover the tales of the riverlands, it's a pretty brutal place, and it was such a great read! I loved the stories that they collected, and how this was a series of tales, not one continuous (or two) tale. 

Chih meets some pretty interesting characters on their travels, the older couple, and the pair of young women. They were all such fascinating characters, and the stories they had of the riverlands were of it's history and the violence, and I loved it! 

A great part of this book is that it talks about the people who aren't important to stories, who are plain, so they don't have have any value to the story. That was a really great discussion, and on the standards of beauty. So I really enjoyed that part! 

Honestly, it's going to take a reread to get to understand all the threads in this book. There were a number of stories told, and given the way things ended, I don't quite have everything figured out, so I need a reread with everything in mind. 

Loved reading this story, and I can't wait for the next installment! 

Author: Nghi Vo
Series: The Singing Hills Cycle #3
Read: August 13th, 2022
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Loved the first two books, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Tordotcom
Expected Publication: October 25th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!