Saturday, August 27, 2022

Week 34 Review: The Tiger at Midnight

The first book in an epic heart-pounding fantasy trilogy inspired by ancient Indian history and Hindu mythology, perfect for fans of Sabaa Tahir and Renée Ahdieh.

A broken bond. A dying land. A cat-and-mouse game that can only end in bloodshed.

Esha lost everything in the royal coup—and as the legendary rebel known as the Viper, she's made the guilty pay. Now she's been tasked with her most important mission to date: taking down the ruthless General Hotha.

Kunal has been a soldier since childhood. His uncle, the general, has ensured that Kunal never strays from the path—even as a part of Kunal longs to join the outside world, which has only been growing more volatile.

When Esha and Kunal's paths cross one fated night, an impossible chain of events unfolds. Both the Viper and the soldier think they're calling the shots, but they're not the only players moving the pieces.

As the bonds that hold their land in order break down and the sins of the past meet the promise of a new future, both the soldier and the rebel must decide where their loyalties lie: with the lives they've killed to hold on to or with the love that's made them dream of something more.

My Review:
Man, this was a fantastic read! I was a little apprehensive, I started to read it a while back, got a few chapters in, and put it down. But picking it up in audio, it was easier to let the story keep coming, and once I did, oh, did I become invested! I loved this world and these characters! Such a great read!

I was a little bit confused with the different countries and what was going on, espcailly as I was listening to an audiobook. But once I got down the two, that the prince of Dharka took over Jansa, and a princess of Jansa had married the heir of Dharka, making Princess Reha, the heir to Jansa, it made much more sense! 

Esha and Kunal were so great to read about! They've both had it difficult since the coup, and they both lost family then, and she's since been a part of a rebel group, while he's been trained by his uncle. And oh, yeah, they were childhood friends, but they've been set against one another. I couldn't put it down! 

A good deal of this book is about Esha and Kunal, their cat and mouse game, as well as the developing feeling between the two of them. And then there's the rebel group's quest to take down the wrongful king, and all the movers and shakers taking action there! That ending was pretty intense with all that we learned and all that action! 

This was a really fantastic read, and I can't wait to continue the series! 

Author: Swati Teerdhala
Series: The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy #1
Read: August 26th, 2022
Source: Edelweiss/Library
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and DAC Book and Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Published: April 23rd 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!