Saturday, August 20, 2022

Week 33 Review: These Feathered Flames

From Goodreads:
A queer retelling of "The Firebird," a Russian folktale

When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates are decided at a young age. While Izaveta remained at court to learn the skills she'd need as the future queen, Asya was taken away to train with her aunt, the mysterious Firebird, who ensured magic remained balanced in the realm.

But before Asya's training is completed, the ancient power blooms inside her, which can mean only one thing: the queen is dead, and a new ruler must be crowned.

As the princesses come to understand everything their roles entail, they'll discover who they can trust, who they can love—and who killed their mother.

My Review:
I loved reading this book! I loved this story about these sisters, and their different positions in life. I loved this world with the Firebird, and all these politics that Izaveta had to learn, and how now that they're back together, things aren't what they thought it would be! It was such a great read!

The story of these two sisters, from a dynasty where one becomes the Queen, and the other the Firebird, was just so interesting! And that the Firebird is there to make sure magic is properly paid for-and if someone is short, taking that from them. It was such an interesting concept!

They've been apart for so long, and they lost contact. But now that their mother died, they're now taking their places-amidst so much political upheaval and drama. I loved watching them navigate it all in their own ways-and the relationships that they built with one another, and with others as well! 

That ending though? That had so many emotionally charged moments, and tense moments, and I loved watching it unfold! It was such a killer cliffhanger ending, and I'm so excited to see what is going to come next for these two!  

A thing about me is that I do regularly read the endings of books before I finish the book. So I did that on my eARC, so I knew what was going to happen. So I was a little bit confused when the audiobook didn't have the epilogue that the ARC had-did it get cut before being published, or did the audiobook just not record it? 

Loved reading this book, and I'm so excited for the sequel! 

Author: Alexandra Overy
Series: These Feathered Flames #1 
Read: August 19th, 2022
Source: Edelweiss/Library
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a 2022 Retelling Reading Challenge, DAC Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Published: April 20th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!