Saturday, May 6, 2023

Week 18 Review: Witch King

From Goodreads:
A story of power and friendship, of trust and betrayal, and of the families we choose.

"I didn't know you were a... demon."
"You idiot. I'm the demon."
Kai's having a long day in Martha Wells' Witch King....

After being murdered, his consciousness dormant and unaware of the passing of time while confined in an elaborate water trap, Kai wakes to find a lesser mage attempting to harness Kai's magic to his own advantage. That was never going to go well.

But why was Kai imprisoned in the first place? What has changed in the world since his assassination? And why does the Rising World Coalition appear to be growing in influence?

Kai will need to pull his allies close and draw on all his pain magic if he is to answer even the least of these questions.

He's not going to like the answers.

My Review:
This was an utterly fantastic read! I love her writing, and it sounded really great. And it was, I loved this story so much! I loved getting to know Kai and this world! It was all so interesting, and we were dumped straight into it and it was explained as it went along!

The way that this story was told, of the present, and every other chapter or every two, we'd get the story of the past. And while this story was immediately engaging, it was hard to read at the beginning for me, because the past started off on a pretty high note, and things quickly went downhill. It was only when there were about as low as they could go, so they could really only go up, that reading the past chapters got easier.

There was a lot going on in this book because of that, getting both stories. The past had a steady amount of battles, while the present had on and off, as things about why this was going on was clarified. Kai was an amazing character in a world with complex politics and history, and magic system! 

Honestly, I'm really hoping that this becomes a series! One, I want more time in this world with these characters. Two, the way things ended in the past was just the beginning of the events there, and there's so much that I want to learn, like what happened to Kai's Underearth body. And three, the way things ended in the present, I want to know what's going to happen from here! Between the figure from the past, and what Danil was investigating, I need more! 

This was an amazing read, and I really hope that we get a sequel! 

Author: Martha Wells 
Read: May 1st, 2023
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2023 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Tordotcom
Expected Publication: May 30th 2023
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
/55 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!