Saturday, July 1, 2023

Week 26 Review: That Inevitable Victorian Thing

From Goodreads:
Set in a near-future world where the British Empire never fell, That Inevitable Victorian Thing is a novel of love, duty, and the small moments that can change people and the world.

Victoria-Margaret is the crown princess of the empire, a direct descendent of Victoria I, the queen who changed the course of history two centuries earlier. The imperial practice of genetically arranged matchmaking will soon guide Margaret into a politically advantageous marriage like her mother before her, but before she does her duty, she'll have one summer incognito in a far corner of empire. In Toronto, she meets Helena Marcus, daughter of one of the empire's greatest placement geneticists, and August Callaghan, the heir apparent to a powerful shipping firm currently besieged by American pirates. In a summer of high-society debutante balls, politically charged tea parties, and romantic country dances, Margaret, Helena, and August discover they share an unusual bond and maybe a one in a million chance to have what they want and to change the world in the process —just like the first Queen Victoria.

My Review:
I loved reading this book! The idea of an alternat history where the British Empire never fell, well, it was very interesting! In real life, it was a bad thing, to have one country ruling over all these other ones, but some of the things that happened in this book made me a little sad that they didn't and probably won't, happen, because they seem better. Because amends were made, and honestly, besides some carrying on of some Victorian-culture, life seems better in this world.

The queerness of this book was just on point! Absolutely loved it, and how much a part it has to play in the story...it was so great! I mean, there were this conversation going on, and I didn't know how it connected-until I suspected it right before it was revealed. So that was great! 

This is the story of 3 teens, all connected to high society in some manner. I loved all of them and their personalities, and how they were connected together, and watching them spend time together was just so very excellent! 

I am a little bit confused as to what was going on in that ending. I kinda get what Margaret was planning, but not fully. Maybe I missed something, but I don't fully understand it. I know they'll be happy, but I have questions on how they're going to work things out! 

This was an utterly fantastic read, and I can't wait to read more by E.K. Johnston! 

Author: E.K. Johnston
Read: June 26th, 2023
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounded good and I've enjoyed her other books, and it's a SAC 2023 Book! 
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Published: October 3rd 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!