Saturday, February 6, 2016

Week 6 Review: City of the Lost

From Goodreads:
Casey Duncan once killed a man and got away with it. But that's not why she's on the run. Her best friend's ex has found Diana again, despite all Casey has done to protect her. And Diana has decided the only way she'll ever be safe is if she finds the mythical town she's heard of where people like her can go to hide. Turns out the town really exists, and will take Diana, but only if Casey, a talented young police detective, comes too.

Imagine a hidden town, isolated in the Yukon wilderness, where everyone is pretending to be someone they're not. Even good people can get up to some very bad stuff. The laconic town sheriff dispenses his own frontier justice, but he's more accustomed to sobering up drunks in the horse trough, than attempting to solve the series of brutal murders that has rocked the town. As much as he hates it, he needs Casey. As for Casey, coming to the far North may have started out as a sacrifice she was willing to make for her best friend. But maybe, just maybe, she needs Rockton as much as the town needs her. 

My Review:
This was such a great book! I was waiting until all 6 parts of it were collected together to read it, since there's so many books to read, that waiting for the instalments to be published would have been evil, so I saved myself that.

I loved this story of Casey, and giving up her life-again-for her friend, and starting fresh in a pretty strange place. And what a place! A 3 to 5 year stay, payment to enter, having jobs, earning more credits for the more valuable work. Oh, and that they're all running from something, and the population is 4 guys to 1 lady with very little in the way of entertainment. That was something that was brought up, and I would love to see it explored more!

Casey's idea for Eric to have in the back of his head a back plan was really awesome! That he could set up another town, well, camp in the beginning, that the council couldn't kick him out of, and he wouldn't have to go down South, that works for him. And there were people who'd go with him!

There were so many twists and turns in this book! Of course it's a Kelley Armstrong book, but there were so many, from the bad guy, well, guys, since there were multiple things going on. And personal details about the characters. The Eric one being the biggest for me! Yeah. That was so great to read!

One thing for me, was that these characters-Casey and Eric Dalton, reminded me a lot of Nadia and Jack from Kelley Armstrong's other series. Both the characters compared together (Casey and Nadia, Eric and Jack) and the relationships of the couples. I noticed this near the end, when Eric was talking about his feelings, and his way of talking reminded me of Jack. I know they're different characters, but they have their similarities, and it would be awesome to see all four of them interact!

Such a fantastic series, and I can't wait to see where this series goes!

Author: Kelley Armstrong
Series: Casey Duncan #1
Read: February 5th, 2016
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Love her books, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2016 Book!
Publisher: Random House Canada
Published: January 2nd 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I had no idea Kelley Armstrong had another title out! This looks SO COOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It originally came out in 6 parts late last year, and then it was put all together and was published last month for Canada, though I don't know when it comes out in the US. But it was so cool, an exploration of a hidden society and how it works without most modern day conveniences :) So great!

      Delete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!