Saturday, February 27, 2016

Week 9 Review: Bitter Bite

From Goodreads:
Which is stronger: blood ties or a battle-tested friendship?

It's not easy being queen bee of an underworld abuzz with crooks and killers. Wielding my potent Ice and Stone elemental magic will only get me so far—my real secret is my tight-knit makeshift family, a motley crew of cops and criminals, dwarves and playboys. My foster brother Finnegan Lane is my right-hand man, but when his suddenly not-dead relative comes back into the picture, I'm the one on the outside looking in. 

It's funny how life works: one minute your best friend is rock-steady, and the next he's doe-eyed and buying into this whole loving-relative routine to the point of ignoring you. I'd like to be happy for Finn, I really would. But all of my instincts are telling me that beneath the syrupy sweet demeanor and old-fashioned charm, this sudden interloper is planning something. The whole shtick leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. This person might have avoided the grave once, but I'll put anyone who hurts Finn in the ground—for good. 

My Review:
Another fantastic book in this series! And the first in the series that I've read all caught up to what's currently being published, so that feels pretty good! And this book had a lot going on in it, and was just so enjoyable to read!

I really enjoy Gin's flashbacks, brought on by her subconscious. They are important, they mean something to what's currently happening, whether it's something that can help or hurt her, or a emotion that's being brought up again, like in the case of this book.

It was hard to read this book, knowing that "Mama Dee" was up to no good, and that Finn was being sucked in-and Gin couldn't prove it. Of course, she did show her hand after that whole kidnapping incident! And so much more!

That ending, oh! And the reveal of "The Circle" that Mab was a part of, and that they're truly running the criminal underworld. Oh, and that Gin's mom was a part of this group, and wanted to move towards a more moral group, and that's why Mab killed her. Yeah.

Such a fantastic, amazing, awesome book, and I really can't wait for the next book (well, and the next novella, too, since it's apparently from Finn's POV!)

Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Elemental Assassin #14
Read: February 25th, 2016
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Love her writing and her books! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2016 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Pocket Books
Published: February 23rd 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!