Saturday, June 3, 2017

Week 22 Review: Last Breath

From Goodreads:
Protecting someone always comes at a cost.

At the age of thirteen, Charlie Quinn's childhood came to an abrupt and devastating end. Two men, with a grudge against her lawyer father, broke into her home—and after that shocking night, Charlie's world was never the same.

Now a lawyer herself, Charlie has made it her mission to defend those with no one else to turn to. So when Flora Faulkner, a motherless teen, begs for help, Charlie is reminded of her own past, and is powerless to say no.

But honor-student Flora is in far deeper trouble than Charlie could ever have anticipated. Soon she must ask herself: How far should she go to protect her client? And can she truly believe everything she is being told?

My Review:
This book was creepy, and utterly good! I didn't really read the synopsis before I read it, and so I didn't really know what to expect. At a certain point, I knew there was something going on beyond what Charlie was finding, but I totally didn't expect what!

Charlie is just a tad distracted throughout this case. And I'm not sure if she'll get any money off of it, no matter how many hours she put in. Whic is not good for her, given that her and her husband have student loans and various other payments to make-and being off by one cent on a minimum credit card payment...ouch!

The process of emancipation is a bit more complicated than I thought, so it's good I'm not a lawyer! And Charlie goes through the beginnings of that process, like finding out her home life, if her guardians are suitable...and it's a hornets nest she found herself in!  Loved it!

I do know that this book is a prequel to the main book, The Good Daughter, and besides this novella, is a stand alone. And this book gives us a look at Charlie's life in a time of upheaval, with student loans and credit cards, and the ending, which is something wondered about throughout the book, but I'm not saying what! I can't wait to see Charlie again 13 years later and see how her life's gone!

Utterly fantastic story, and I can't wait for The Good Daughter!

Author: Karin Slaughter
Series: The Good Daughter #0.5
Read: June 2nd, 2017
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Love her books, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2017 Book!
Publisher: Witness Impulse
Expected Publication: July 11th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!