Saturday, January 25, 2020

Week 4 Review: The Stars We Steal

From Goodreads:
Engagement season is in the air. Eighteen-year-old Princess Leonie "Leo" Kolburg, heir to a faded European spaceship, only has one thing on her mind: which lucky bachelor can save her family from financial ruin?

But when Leo's childhood friend and first love Elliot returns as the captain of a successful whiskey ship, everything changes. Elliot was the one that got away, the boy Leo's family deemed to be unsuitable for marriage. Now, he's the biggest catch of the season and he seems determined to make Leo's life miserable. But old habits die hard, and as Leo navigates the glittering balls of the Valg Season, she finds herself failing for her first love in a game of love, lies, and past regrets. 

My Review:
This book was a fantastic read! It's the second book set in the world, but this book is set earlier in the timeline. We apparently saw a few familiar names, of those who are related, but I won't know who until I read Brightly Burning. I can't wait, because I enjoyed this book so much!

I haven't read the Jane Austen book this is lightly retelling. I've only read another retelling, and I could see the similar story beats of a past love who wasn't good enough for the family, coming back and definitely being good enough now. The characters and the setting make this book unique, because yeah, space. Loved it!

I really enjoyed all the politics of it all, of the Valg Season, of Leo and Elliot, and her invention and his secrets. There's romance and there's intrigue and I just enjoyed going on this ride! Both of these characters were interesting to read about, they both had strong motivations that sometimes put them in conflict with each other and wow, some sparks flew!

The ending, wow, it was pretty intense! I had a half of thought of some of what went down, but wow, I didn't expect all of that! It was pretty satisfying to read, after all the nail biting and rages as the injustices, I really enjoyed that ending!

I enjoyed this book so much, and I can't wait to read Brightly Burning next!

Author: Alexa Donne
Read: January 22nd, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a 2020 Retelling Reading Challenge, SAC 2020 Book, Sophomore Challenge Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Expected Publication: February 4th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!