Saturday, January 25, 2020

Week 4 Review: Dead in the Doorway

From Goodreads:
Dead in the Doorway is the second in a delightful cozy series from Diane Kelly set in Nashville—where the real estate market is to die for.

A HOUSE WITH GOOD BONES. . .

Whitney Whitaker has scored the perfect piece of real estate: a ramshackle white Colonial at the top of a hill with views of downtown Nashville. What more could a self-taught home-improvement maven and occasional house-flipper ask for? Ideally, the property of Whitney's dreams would not have come with a dead body blocking the entrance to the foyer. But Whitney, always quick to take heavy-duty matters into her own hands, also happens to be a skilled amateur sleuth. So that helps.

AND SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET.

Who is this older woman—and how did her corpse end up at the bottom of the staircase of this locked, unoccupied house? That is what Whitney, along with the support of her wood-working cousin Buck, Detective Collin Flynn, and, of course, feline partner-in-crime Sawdust, intends to find out. Her friendly-neighbor investigation takes a sharp turn, however, when Whitney discovers that the house's former owner was a gourmet baker whose secret recipe for peach pie was to die for—perhaps literally. Now it's up to Whitney to learn the truth about what happened before she loses this killer real-estate deal . . . and the killer comes knocking at her door.

My Review:
Wow, I really enjoyed reading this book! I really enjoyed the first one, and I really enjoy her Paw Enforcement series, and yeah, this book sounded like a really great read, and I'm so glad that I did read it! It was such a cute and fun read, and I enjoyed it a lot!

So of course there's a problem with their next house flipping project. And that it brings them in contact with the police again. I really enjoyed getting to know this neighborhood of pretty close neighbors, all friends with the previous owner of the house. Though not so much with the victim that kicks off this case which leads to a lot of suspects!

So the little details that solved this mystery, they were just throwaway lines. But then again, in a mystery novel, any throwaway detail could be important. It just felt like normal details, you know, that bring a book to life, not ones that are important to the plot. Very well done!

The ending was really satisfying, though I wish it'd been tweaked just slightly, if they'd added one thing, because it would've made the climax all the more satisfying and gratifying. Oh, well. I love that we got a peak at their next project-who knows, maybe it'll also become involved in a crime!

This book was such a great read, and I can't wait to see where things go from here!

Author: Diane Kelly
Series: House-Flipper Mystery #2
Read: January 22nd, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Love her writing, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks
Expected Publication: March 31st 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!