Saturday, February 1, 2020

Week 5 Review: Brightly Burning

From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Stella Ainsley wants just one thing: to go somewhere—anywhere—else. Her home is a floundering spaceship that offers few prospects, having been orbiting an ice-encased Earth for two hundred years. When a private ship hires her as a governess, Stella jumps at the chance. The captain of the Rochester, nineteen-year-old Hugo Fairfax, is notorious throughout the fleet for being a moody recluse and a drunk. But with Stella he's kind.

But the Rochester harbors secrets: Stella is certain someone is trying to kill Hugo, and the more she discovers, the more questions she has about his role in a conspiracy threatening the fleet.



My Review:
This was a fantastic read! I did read these out of order, The Stars We Steal is coming out in a couple of days, and this one has been out for 2 years. But while they're set in the same world, there's a time jump, and different characters, so I'm glad that I read it in the order that I did, because The Stars We Steal is set earlier in the timeline then this book. And with the ending of this book, it would've been a bit weird to go back to everything before. Yeah.

I'm a little confused about the timeline, because apparently it's 40 years between the two. Writing this review, I maybe came up with a solution. One of Hugo's parents was the sibling of the kid Fairfax in Stars. Because otherwise, well, the kid Fairfax was a boy who wasn't named Phillip, and I don't see how a kid 40 years ago could be a grandfather of Hugo. Even if they have short lives, I don't see how they could fit in 3 generations. So one of Hugo's parents being the sibling of that kid, that works.

I haven't actually read Jane Eyre, I just kinda know the basic plot line from mentions of it in our collective culture and I've read a few other retellings. It was pretty clever, how this book adapted from the original story to fit this book, with Hugo being a young adult, and for this book to be set in space, for it to be a YA book. It made for interesting reading! And there's more going on as well, the politics and worries about being on a fleet that weren't meant to be used this long. Yeah.

Just have to say, the idea of Jane Eyre, but set in space, it's so interesting, because space is a whole 'nother level of emptiness, of being alone. Of isolation. Then having these two falling in love, just made the focus all the more intense. Watching these characters dance around each other was so cute! I mean, we only got Stella's perspective, but we're told of Hugo's intentions. So fantastic to read!

Loved this book, it was a really fantastic read!

Author: Alexa Donne
Read: January 28th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really great, I really enjoyed her second book, and it's a 2020 Retelling Reading Challenge, DAC Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Published: May 1st 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!