Saturday, June 6, 2020

Week 23 Review: The Obsidian Tower

From Goodreads:
The Obsidian Tower begins a bold new epic fantasy trilogy in which the broken magic of one woman will either save an entire continent-or completely destroy it.

As the granddaughter of a Witch Lord of Vaskandar, Ryx was destined for power and prestige. But a childhood illness left her with broken magic that drains the life from anything she touches, and Vaskandar has no place for a mage with unusable powers. So Ryx has resigned herself to an isolated life as the warden of Gloamingard, her grandmother's castle.

At Gloamingard's heart lies a black tower. Sealed by magic, it guards a dangerous secret that has been contained for thousands of years. Until one impetuous decision Ryx makes leaves her with blood on her hands-and unleashes a threat that could doom everything she loves to fall to darkness.

My Review:
Wow, this book was so fantastic! I loved learning about this world, these characters, and unraveling the mysteries! It was such a compelling, addicting story, and I couldn't put it down! I loved everything about this book, and I'm so excited that it's a series!

We know right off the bat that the tower should never be opened, it's in one of the synopsis' of the book. The question is why, and it's answered in waves of information, learning a bit at a time. It was so freaking interesting!

There was a lot of politics in this book, because Gloamingard, at Ryx's direction, was to host a diplomatic party. Of course everything goes awry, and having those politicians there added to the level of difficulty that Ryx had to deal with.

I really enjoyed how it resolved, they have information, there is hope for the future. But it's also dimmed by the uncertainty of the present. I can't wait to watch these characters stride forward, because there are such heights for them to climb-or to fall. I need to read more!

I found out afterwards that Melissa Caruso has written a trilogy set in this world, earlier in the timeline if I'm correct. And I'm going to have to read it, because I need to read more of this world and her writing!

I loved this book so much, and I can't wait to read the sequels!

Author: Melissa Caruso
Series: Rooks and Ruin #1
Read: May 30th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Orbit
Published: June 2nd 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!