Saturday, June 20, 2020

Week 25 Review: Looking for Alaska

From Goodreads:
Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave "the Great Perhaps" even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . .
After. Nothing is ever the same.

My Review:
I had no idea where this book was going.  John Green's books are really popular, but I didn't know anything about this book besides what is in the synopsis. I just starting reading it and it was over before I knew it, it's so short!

I loved the countdown in the before, and the count up in the after, knowing how much time had passed. It's a little thing, but it helps me more precisely keep track of when everything was taking place. So that was great.

There was one thing I didn't like about this book, and that was the smoking. Drinking, I get, teenagers seeking the forbidden. But cigarettes are nasty, and how Pudge fell into the habit, mostly out of anything better to do, was just awful. I didn't like it at all, and probably not the reason why this book was banned, because I'm contrary.

The relationship that Pudge has with Alaska was interesting to read, because like she says, he doesn't really know her. And in the after, well, there's a struggle there. I don't want to spoil, even though this book is 15 years old right now, but yeah. It was really great to read, I really enjoyed that ending, it was satisfying!

Loved reading this book, it was great discussion dealing with life and I really enjoyed it!

Author: John Green
Read: June 18th, 2020
Source: Own
Reason Why: I enjoy his writing and it sounded great, and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Speak
Published: March 3rd 2005
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!