Saturday, November 14, 2020

Week 46 Review: The Darkest Minds

From Goodreads:
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that's killed most of America's children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she's on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

My first review of The Darkest Minds
My second review of The Darkest Minds
My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book again! Ruby is a fantastic character, I loved seeing her deal with these situations again. And I just had to read it again for 2 reasons-there's now a movie, and there's now a 4th book. And given that I last read the series in 2015, well, it's been 5 years now. So it was a good time to read it again.

Even knowing how Ruby's story is going to wrap up, though I've forgotten some of the details, it was really great to go back to the beginning, before she went through all that she did. She faces some pretty tough obstacles, and I loved reading about her dealing with them.

I just love her banter with the group. The romance blossoming with Liam. The dislike between her and Chubs. The bond with Zu. And the bonds the group as a whole had with each other. They're just such great characters, and I'm glad that they had these friendships!  

And that ending! Even knowing that it was coming, it was still so entertaining. I just feel so bad for them, because this is only the beginning, they all have a lot of problems to solve before they reach their happy ending. And for Zu to continue her story, yeah! 

Loved this book again, I can't wait to continue this journey again! 

Author: Alexandra Bracken
Series: The Darkest Minds #1
First Read: January 28th, 2013
Second Read: January 1st, 2015
Read: November 12th, 2020
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a 2020 Dystopia Book and Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book! 
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Published: December 1st 2012
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!