Saturday, November 14, 2020

Week 46 Review: Quiet in Her Bones

My mother vanished ten years ago.
So did a quarter of a million dollars in cash.
Thief. Bitch. Criminal.
Now, she's back.
Her bones clothed in scarlet silk.

When socialite Nina Rai disappeared without a trace, everyone wrote it off as another trophy wife tired of her wealthy husband.

But now her bones have turned up in the shadowed green of the forest that surrounds her elite neighborhood, a haven of privilege and secrets that's housed the same influential families for decades.

The rich live here, along with those whose job it is to make their lives easier. And somebody knows what happened to Nina one rainy night ten years ago.

Her son Aarav heard a chilling scream that night, and he's determined to uncover the ugly truth that lives beneath the moneyed elegance…but no one is ready for the murderous secrets about to crawl out of the dark.

Even the dead aren't allowed to break the rules in this cul-de-sac.

My Review:
This book was dark and twisted and I loved it! I loved Aarav's investigation into his mother's death. He was such an interesting character with a few mysteries hidden in his depths. Plus he had a complicated relationship with her, given that he is her son, but he's also the son of a guy she has a pretty awful marriage with. 

The cul-de-sac was a web of secrets and lies, connections between characters that were hidden, or not all what they seemed. And Aarav has to navigate them, to find out if any of these secrets are the reason why his mom is dead which was a fun investigation to read about. 

There's also more than one mystery. There'd be a line, and it it'd be like, what the heck? And then we got the reason why, but that didn't stop it from happening. And it complicated things, added an air of do we trust what is going on? It was such a great element in this book! 

But man, was I not expecting that ending. I mean, I had suspicions because there were just a few things not adding up, but I didn't put them together and get that ending before it happened. And it was such a satisfying ending! 

This was another great stand alone mystery from Nalini Singh, and I would love to read another! New Zealand is just the perfect atmosphere for this type of story! 

Author: Nalini Singh
Read: November 12th, 2020
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing, and it's a SAC 2020 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Berkley
Expected Publication: February 23rd 2021

5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!