Saturday, January 22, 2022

Week 3 Review: Blood of Elves

From Goodreads:
or more than a hundred years humans, dwarves, gnomes and elves lived together in relative peace. But times have changed, the uneasy peace is over and now the races once again fight each other - and themselves: Dwarves are killing their kinsmen, and elves are murdering humans and elves, at least those elves who are friendly to humans... Into this tumultuous time is born a child for whom the witchers of the world have been waiting.

Ciri, the granddaughter of Queen Calanthe, the Lioness of Cintra, has strange powers and a stranger destiny, for prophecy names her the Flame, one with the power to change the world - for good, or for evil... Geralt, the witcher of Rivia, has taken Ciri to the relative safety of the Witchers' Settlement, but it soon becomes clear that Ciri isn't like the other witchers. As the political situation grows ever dimmer and the threat of war hangs almost palpably over the land, Geralt searches for someone to train Ciri's unique powers.

But someone else has an eye on the young girl, someone who understand exactly what the prophecy means - and exactly what Ciri's power can do. This time Geralt may have met his match.

My Review:
I was so excited to read this book! I've been meaning to for almost a year, but I had to read it now because we just got the season of the show that is based off of this book, and I had to read the book before I watched the show, and now I can do so, and I'm so excited! 

The bulk of this series is about Geralt and Ciri, and this is the first time that we get significant interactions between the two of them, and that was really great! They are the main characters of varying degrees, as far as I can tell, for this series, and this is the true beginning of their relationship! 

The short story collections and the one off novel all focused on Geralt, and this book focused on Ciri, and it was really great to get to know her better, to watch her go on this journey. Though I did go in knowing that sometimes the perspective would be of some random person watching.

There's a lot going on in this book, Ciri has her magic to learn how to use, while also being a target because she's the heir of Cintra. And all the politics that were previous set up, continue to gain momentum, and I'm excited to see where it goes from here! 

This was such a great read, and I can't wait to continue! 

Author: Andrzej Sapkowski
Series: The Witcher #1 
Read: January 21st, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Really enjoying this series and his writing, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Orbit
Published: 1994
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!