Saturday, January 29, 2022

Week 4 Review: Carrie Pilby

From Goodreads:
Carrie Pilby's To-Do List:

1. List 10 things you love (and do them!)
2. Join a club (and talk to people!)
3. Go on a date (with someone you actually like!)
4. Tell someone you care (your therapist doesn't count!)
5. Celebrate New Year's (with other people!)

Seriously? Carrie would rather stay in bed than deal with the immoral, sex-obsessed hypocrites who seem to overrun her hometown, New York City. She's sick of trying to be like everybody else. She isn't! But when her own therapist gives her a five-point plan to change her social-outcast status, Carrie takes a hard look at herself—and agrees to try.

Suddenly the world doesn't seem so bad. But is prodigy Carrie willing to dumb things down just to fit in? 

My Review:
I had a decent time reading this book, but it really wasn't for me. I thought from the synopsis that it would be a light and fun read, but Carrie is pretty serious, pretty judgmental of humanity, and not the most likeable of people, and had lots of philosophical musing. I did enjoy it a bit, but yeah, not really my book.

Right away, the first thing I wanted to know was, what was the big lie that her dad told her She seemed to milk a lot out of it, and when we found out, well, it gave a great insight into Carrie's character. And why she had such a strong opinion on hypocrites.

To be fair, I can understand why she wanted to put so little effort into life. That kind of coasting on life's momentum, that felt awfully close to depression, it's something I've dealt with personally. But she's given this list, opens herself up to some new experiences-and learns a few things along the way.

That ending was pretty great, of seeing where Carrie is at the end of this book, the decisions that she made, I really enjoyed seeing how much that she'd grown from the start of the book. She made some decisions that were mature, that before, she might've chosen something to make the situation worse, so I'm glad for her.

I enjoyed this book, but it's not one that I'll think about in the future.  

Author: Caren Lissner
Read: January 23rd, 2022
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great and it's a SAC 2022 Book!
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: June 22nd 2010
4/5 Hearts
0/5 Books
0/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!