Saturday, January 22, 2022

Week 3 Review: All Rights Reserved

From Goodreads:
In a world where every word and gesture is copyrighted, patented or trademarked, one girl elects to remain silent rather than pay to speak, and her defiant and unexpected silence threatens to unravel the very fabric of society.

Speth Jime is anxious to deliver her Last Day speech and celebrate her transition into adulthood. The moment she turns fifteen, Speth must pay for every word she speaks ("Sorry" is a flat ten dollars and a legal admission of guilt), for every nod ($0.99/sec), for every scream ($0.99/sec) and even every gesture of affection. She's been raised to know the consequences of falling into debt, and can't begin to imagine the pain of having her eyes shocked for speaking words that she's unable to afford.

But when Speth's friend Beecher commits suicide rather than work off his family's crippling debt, she can't express her shock and dismay without breaking her Last Day contract and sending her family into Collection. Backed into a corner, Speth finds a loophole: rather than read her speech — rather than say anything at all — she closes her mouth and vows never to speak again. Speth's unexpected defiance of tradition sparks a media frenzy, inspiring others to follow in her footsteps, and threatens to destroy her, her family and the entire city around them.

My first review of All Rights Reserved
My Review:
Oh, man, this book! I had to reread it, since it's been so long since I first read it, and I really needed to read the sequel. But I was apprehensive, because I really hate this world, and it's horrible to these characters, even if I knew that they overcame it and took it down. It was still a little bit hard to read

Speth is between a rock and a hard place. She has this speech that she's contractually obligated to be her first speaking words. And then her friend kills himself right before, and she doesn't know what to say, so she doesn't say anything at all, which becomes the start of a revolution. And it's not because she means to, it's just that, what can she say? When things are so wrong?

When her brother died, that part was so hard to read. I forgot how much she lost. That was a really intense, hard moment, and it was hard to come to terms what had happened. Man, they just put her through the wringer! 

Oh, but that ending was so satisfying to read! To take down the wifi, of their power over the people, and then having her finally speak, the town is free. But outside, people are not, her parents are not, and I can't wait to see how that's going to play out in the sequel! 

This was a fantastic read, and I can't wait to read the sequel! 

Author: Gregory Scott Katsoulis
Series: Word$ #1
First Read: August 3rd, 2017
Read: January 18th, 2022
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounds really good, and it's a 2022 Dystopia Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book!
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: August 21st 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!