Saturday, April 15, 2023

Week 15 Review All the Dead Lie Down

From Goodreads:
The Haunting of Bly Manor meets House of Salt and Sorrows in award-winning author Kyrie McCauley's contemporary YA gothic romance about a dark family lineage, the ghosts of grief, and the lines we'll cross for love.

The Sleeping House was very much awake . . .

Days after a tragedy leaves Marin Blythe alone in the world, she receives a surprising invitation from Alice Lovelace--an acclaimed horror writer and childhood friend of Marin's mother. Alice offers her a nanny position at Lovelace House, the family's coastal Maine estate.

Marin accepts and soon finds herself minding Alice's peculiar girls. Thea buries her dolls one by one, hosting a series of funerals, while Wren does everything in her power to drive Marin away. Then Alice's eldest daughter returns home unexpectedly. Evie Hallowell is every bit as strange as her younger sisters, and yet Marin is quickly drawn in by Evie's compelling behavior and ethereal grace.

But as Marin settles in, she can't escape the anxiety that follows her like a shadow. Dead birds appear in Marin's room. The children's pranks escalate. Something dangerous lurks in the woods, leaving mutilated animals in its wake. All is not well at Lovelace House, and Marin must unravel its secrets before they consume her. 

My Review:
This was such a fantastic story! I've loved both of Kyrie McCauley's published books, and I was looking forward to this one, it sounded really great! And it was, I had a really great time reading this wonderful book!

If I had to compare it to her first two, then I'd say it's closer to If These Wings Could Fly, but more paranormal, and make it horror, though it has been a while since I read it, but there's no big outrage inducing issue like We Could Be Heroes. I really loved the mix of paranormal and horror! 

Marin loves Alice Lovelace's writing. Her mom was best friends with Alice, but Marin has never met her. When her mom dies, and Alice gets in touch, Marin sitting for Alice's younger daughters seems like a perfect solution. But oh, it's much more complicated than that!

As the story unfolded, and Marin learned more about Lovelace House and it's occupants, learning about their secrets, with Wren who seems to want to get rid of her, and Evie, who seems this perfect and polished young lady. Oh, I loved Marin and Evie together! 

This was a fantastic read, and I can't wait to read more by Kyrie McCauley! 

Author: Kyrie McCauley
Read: April 11th, 2023
Source: Edelweiss 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2023 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books 
Expected Publication: May 16th 2023
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!