Saturday, April 15, 2023

Week 15 Review: The Bone Houses

From Goodreads:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Sky in the Deep in this bewitching, historical horror novel, perfect for fans of Holly Black and V.E. Schwab.

Seventeen-year-old Aderyn ("Ryn") only cares about two things: her family and her family's graveyard. And right now, both are in dire straits. Since the death of their parents, Ryn and her siblings have been scraping together a meager existence as gravediggers in the remote village of Colbren, which sits at the foot of a harsh and deadly mountain range that was once home to the fae. The problem with being a gravedigger in Colbren, though, is that the dead don't always stay dead.

The risen corpses are known as "bone houses," and legend says that they're the result of a decades-old curse. When Ellis, an apprentice mapmaker with a mysterious past, arrives in town, the bone houses attack with new ferocity. What is it that draws them near? And more importantly, how can they be stopped for good?

Together, Ellis and Ryn embark on a journey that will take them into the heart of the mountains, where they will have to face both the curse and the deeply-buried truths about themselves.

My first review of The Bone Houses
My Review:
This was such a great read! I loved reading it the first time, but after the end of The Drowned Woods, and how it seemed like those two were the start of the family whose line ended up with Ryn, well, I had to reread this book! And I'm so glad that I did!

I am really glad that I'm rereading this book after having now read The Drowned Woods, because even though this book was published first, The Drowned Woods happens chronologically first. I maybe picked up on some things that further connected is all.

I mainly remember this book being hilarious, with the bone houses, including that of the goat, as these two going on this journey. Goats and such are really funny in books for some reason (the other that I can think of right now being The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow. So it was really great to reread it! 

Going on this journey with these characters, kinda remembering how it resolves, was so great. So I was able to look for the pieces that connects everything together knowing that it was, and that was so much fun to do while I was reading this book! 

This was a hilarious and fantastic read, and I can't wait to read more by Emily Lloyd-Jones! 

Author: Emily Lloyd-Jones
First Read: October 15th, 2019
Read: April 12th, 2023
Source: Own
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2023 Book!
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: September 24th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!