Saturday, April 29, 2023

Week 17 Review: Skyhunter

From Goodreads:
In a world broken by war, a team of young warriors is willing to sacrifice everything to save what they love.

The Karensa Federation has conquered a dozen countries, leaving Mara as one of the last free nations in the world. Refugees flee to its borders to escape a fate worse than death—transformation into mutant war beasts known as Ghosts, creatures the Federation then sends to attack Mara.

The legendary Strikers, Mara's elite fighting force, are trained to stop them. But as the number of Ghosts grows and Karensa closes in, defeat seems inevitable.

Still, one Striker refuses to give up hope.

Robbed of her voice and home, Talin Kanami knows firsthand the brutality of the Federation. Their cruelty forced her and her mother to seek asylum in a country that considers their people repugnant. She finds comfort only with a handful of fellow Strikers who have pledged their lives to one another and who are determined to push Karensa back at all costs.

When a mysterious prisoner is brought from the front, Talin senses there’s more to him than meets the eye. Is he a spy from the Federation? Or could he be the weapon that will save them all?

My Review:
This was such a fantastic read! I just love Marie Lu's writing, her worlds are so interesting to explore, and this story about a nation on the brink of falling to a conquering federation, yeah, I loved reading it! It was such a great read!

Immediately I was taken away to this world, with the Striker's who don't speak when they're fighting, because the Ghosts that they fight have a highly attuned sense of hearing. There were just so many unfairnesses to this world, from the way that the refugees were treated in not being let within the city's gates, to how Talin was treated after the loss of her shield. Urgh! 

I loved how determined Talin was to protect her home, however flawed it might be. With the value that Red brings to the table, of how to fight the ghosts, and the plan that they came up with. And oh, when it played out, I was on the edge of my seat, it was all consuming! 

That ending was just so evil! I need to know what's going to happen in the sequel! That the trial happened, but that it was turned on its head-and that's when the Federation made its move...urgh! And the decisions that Talin had to make, I can understand why, but oh, I want her to get out of that situation! 

I loved reading this book, and I can't wait to read Steelstriker! 

Author: Marie Lu
Series: Skyhunter #1
Read: April 24th, 2023
Source: Own/Library
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Published: September 29th 2020 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!