Saturday, June 3, 2023

Week 22 Review: Mountains Made of Glass

From Goodreads:
"Could you love me?" he whispered. The question stole my breath and burned my lungs in the silence that followed.

I wanted to answer, to whisper yes into the space between us, but I was afraid.

All Gesela's life, her home village of Elk has been cursed. And it isn't a single curse—it is one after another, each to be broken by a villager, each with devastating consequences. When Elk's well goes dry, it is Gesela's turn to save her town by killing the toad that lives at the bottom. Except . . . the toad is not a toad at all. He is an Elven prince under a curse of his own, and upon his death, his brothers come for Gesela, seeking retribution.

As punishment, the princes banish Gesela to live with their seventh brother, the one they call the beast. Gesela expects to be the prisoner of a hideous monster, but the beast turns out to be exquisitely beautiful, and rather than lock her in a cell, he offers Gesela a deal. If she can guess his true name in seven days, she can go free.

Gesela agrees, but there is a hidden catch—she must speak his name with love in order to free him, too.

But can either of them learn to love in time?

My Review:
This was a fairy tale retelling of the tale before it was sanitized, made from a warning to a fairly pleasant story. It was grim and dark, and I loved reading it! And of course, there was the weird and strange fairy things, like how hair could become an apple.

There were really no right choices. The village made her deal with the latest problem, in killing this frog-but the frog was cursed there. And was actually an Elven prince-who has 6 other brothers. Being punished to be the prisoner of the 7th brother, yeah, not a good time.

Their romance was delightful to read! I mean, it was dark, and the human prince giving romance advice had a skewed idea of love, and it was kinda hilarious how those interactions went, and it was when they were being themselves that they made the most progress.

I absolutely loved how things wrapped up, with the curse, with the human prince, and her home village, it was just so satisfying! There was a lot packed into this story, and it has me really excited to see where the series goes from here with the other brothers and their shards of the mirror! 

This was a really great story, and I can't wait to get the rest of the retellings of these brothers! 

Author: Scarlett St. Clair
Series: Fairy Tale Retellings #1
Read: May 30th, 2023 
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and ti sounded really great and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book! 
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Published: March 7th 2023
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!