Saturday, April 30, 2011

Author Interview: The Blackwood Conspiracy by Rolf

Today I would like to welcome Rolf Taylor over for an interview.

The Blackwood Conspiracy: An ex-soldier, Tepes, and two civilians, Señor Pepe and Jojo  are thrown into a dangerous world after Tepes decides that Arthur Blackwood, one of the wealthiest, and most powerful, men in the world is not who he seems to be. As their investigations into Blackwood deepens, they are discovered by a quasi-military group hellbent on destroying Blackwood any way they can, regardless of the consequences. From Panama to Paris to London to Israel to the Kola Bay, they fight Blackwood and try to stop him from executing a mysterious plan that would change the world...


Why/how did you start writing?
I’ve always enjoyed writing, but I only really started writing everyday on an actual large project after my friend expressed interest and we decided to start working on something.

What’s the most common mistake do you think that beginning authors make?
Well, just thinking back to when I had just begun, they need to sit down and think about what they’re writing. When I first started I had no specific destination and just threw in anything “cool.” Now that I’m really putting a lot of effort into a plot, I regret that.

What worries would you tell your past self to get over in the beginning?
 I remember that I was worried about how much action there was. I mean, there was a LOT. But then I discovered the Australian author Matthew Reilly, who easily outclasses me in the amount of action content, so I felt better. And now my writing has moved away from action, though it’s still there and I still pay quite a bit of attention to that.

What would you tell your past self to worry about?
As I said above, plot. I would tell him to sit down and come up with a really great plot before writing a whole bunch of explosions.

Are you a plotter, or a pantser-do you do outlines, or do you write what comes to mind?
I started out as a pantser, but now I’m definitely a plotter, as I’ve put most writing on a hiatus to figure out this really epic (well, hopefully) plot.

If you’re a plotter, what tricks do you use to plot out your novel?
Well, I generally figure out what I want the overall plot to be, and then put all the little details I’d like to have into a list and check them off. I find that making a timeline, since my plot stretches over a really long period of time, is helpful and writing periodic summaries of everything I have is also good.

If you’re a pantser, how do you wrap up all the loose ends?
When I was a pantser, it required me adding some really random twists, and not the good kid, to make sure everything added up.

What inspired your first book?
My friend and were actually working together on some homework, and it kind of spiralled out of control from there, and before we knew it we were writing a book.

Do you listen to music while writing?
Of course! I generally like to listen to peppy, upbeat dance or dubstep, to really get my blood flowing. But I also have a selection of classical music that I enjoy.

What’s your writing space like?
Usually I write on this couch, and it’s pretty messy. One day though, if my dreams came true and I actually became a writer, I think it would be cool to have one of those offices with all sorts of memorabilia from movies and stuff.

Do you have any quirks when it comes to writing?
None that I can think of off the top of my head, though I’m sure I do.

How did you come up with the names Tepes, Mitsuko, Deadclaw, and Zacchaeus?
Well, I have four main characters, as far as the series I’m working on, so here goes. The first is Tepes, just Tepes, and his name was taken from Vlad Tepes, the original Dracula, who he’s supposed to be descended from. Tepes is ex-military and along with the rest of et MCs ends up getting caught in a conspiracy bigger than any of them. He wears all black and wields a massive sword. Miyamoto Mitsuko name is half taken from a book, half taken from Miyamoto Musashi, one of the most famous swordsmen in the world. She’s emotionless, beautiful, and extremely dangerous, and obsessed with avenging her family’s death. Both she and Tepes are antiheroes, definitely Type IVs. Deadclaw’s name was chosen purely as rule of cool, as was his real name, Kable Frost. (Yeah, I know.) He’s a sadistic mercenary who hates Tepes, but is eventually forced to work with him to combat the conspiracy, which he’s very deeply involved in. Finally, there’s Zacchaeus Okumu Owiti, who’s name is taken from the biblical character and from Luo names, as he’s African. He’s an antivillain, and the nicest of my four MCs. Despite this, he’s also up to his neck in the conspiracy, and knows more than he’s saying.

What are you currently working on?
The first book in the series, which wasn’t written first because… Well, who knows.

What wrimo sites are you on?
Just NaNoWriMo.

What future plans do you have for your book?
Well, I’d like to publish… But if I don’t I’m not going to stop writing. At this point in time I’m actually planning on entering the Amazon Breakthrough Novel contest, and see how that goes.

What authors may you have learned from, from sites and reading their books?
I’ve learned from so many authors, but for some reason Orson Scott Card has popped to the front of my head right now. Why, I can’t say, because there’s dozens of authors that have shaped me.

Which of your characters do you relate to the most?
Probably Señor Pepe, who’s becoming more and more minor as the series evolves. But I put a lot of effort into making him “realistic,” in contrast to say, Tepes or Mitsuko, so I drew a lot on myself.

Do you prefer books to movies in the film adaptation from books?
Probably books, though some really great movies have come from books, like Die Hard and Rambo, though they seem to be more “based on” than adaptations.

Do you get writer’s block? If so, what do you do to pass the time, or get rid of it?
Actually, I’ve never gotten a serious case of writer’s block, so I’m thankful for that. I do get stuck on minor things here and there, but nothing ever major and it’s never constant.

One book you wish you hadn’t written, if any?
I haven’t written that much yet, so no.

Authors you look forward to new books from the most?
Wow, that changes on whoever I’m reading at the moment, but right now it would be Lee Child, Matthew Reilly, or the final Inheritance Cycle Book. All guilty pleasures, but all enjoyable.

Do you have a writing schedule?
Not currently, but summer’s about to roll around, and then I might end up implementing one. Other than that I write whenever I have time, which isn’t as much as I’d like.

On the top of your head, how many plots and characters do you think you have or have created?
Oh lord, dozens and dozens of characters. Because of the nature of my plot, there’s quite a few that appear. And only really one plot, but because of its nature, there’s plenty of smaller ones that encompass either a book or a couple books, or sometimes even a few chapters.

Your favourite quote?
“We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” - Charles Bukowski

Thank you, Rolf! Rolf can be reached by email, here: rlftaylor@earthlink.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!