Monday, April 25, 2011

Author Interview-Chosen by Austine

Today, I'd like to welcome Austine Decker of The Magic Pen over for an interview.

Chosen:
The Labyrinth: a place of monsters and demons, built to protect the greatest treasure of all—the Hatchery.

The Chosen: those cursed to walk its paths forever

The Rider king has led his people to their own destruction. The kingdom of Creta is in turmoil as hurricanes, droughts, and blizzards lay waste to the land. He’s ruled for over a hundred years and the gods are unhappy. They require new blood to purify Creta’s blood-tainted history.

Rayne tried to keep her curse a secret but when she’s magically transported into the Labyrinth, she has no choice but to accept it if she wants to survive. But the Labyrinth is only the beginning of her journey. Tasked with murder, Rayne must not only escape, but defeat the traitor of the gods. If she succeeds, it would mean freedom for her people but at what cost?

As princess, Lea has enjoyed all the comforts of a wealthy lifestyle. Yet it’s not enough. The need for power becomes a driving force as she sets out on a mission to save her brother with the intent of gaining the respect and authority Lea believes she deserves. But power is addictive, and could open a truth for Lea that she can’t accept. Can she fight it, or will it consume her?

One destiny. Two girls. Who will claim it? 

Why/how did you start writing?
I started writing seriously about 4 years ago when I discovered a contest called Writers of the Future. The grand prize was $1,000 and very tempting. I tried to write a novel—and failed. But along the way, I found I really enjoyed writing and haven’t stopped since.

What’s the most common mistake do you think that beginning authors make?
I don’t want to generalize new authors. What I found was my biggest mistake was thinking writing a novel is easy. I figured, “Hey, look at all those books out there. It can’t be that hard.” The reality is that writing takes time, patience, and devotion. It’s hard work and you get from it what you give. The more you write, the better you get, and the greater the reward of finishing a novel is.

What worries would you tell your past self to get over in the beginning?
“It’s going to suck. A lot. But you can always fix it in edits. And even then, it’s going to suck. For a while, at least. Give it time. Your novel will be wonderful when it’s all said and done, and it’ll be well worth the wait.”

What would you tell your past self to worry about?
“Beware of the awful internet. It is a distraction too tempting to pass up, but try your hardest. And that nasty writer’s block will stump you more times than not. You’re going to want to go back and change scenes. Don’t. You’ll never finish your novel otherwise.”

Are you a plotter or a pantser (Do you outline or write what comes to mind)?
I used to be a pantser, but after that first year of NaNoWriMo, I am most definitely a plotter. I’ve found that to effectively complete NaNo with a salvageable novel at the end, an outline is a must because it’s the only thing keeping you on track once the clock strikes midnight November 1st.

If you’re a plotter, what tricks do you use to plot out your novel?
My system is to come up with the beginning, ending, and anything I know will happen in the middle. Then I look at my characters—their flaws, desires, fears, goals. From those I determine the rest of the middle of the novel. Most of my stories are character-driven, so this works well for that.

What inspired your first book?
Chosen came from a reoccurring dream where I saw a girl running through a dark maze-like place. Fog hung heavy in the air and there was something out there that she was running from. I wanted to know what. So I started writing and Chosen sprung forth (after several half-finished drafts, I might add).

Do you listen to music while writing?
Always! I love music and can’t stand to write without the stereo pumping out tunes.

What’s your writing space like?
Messy. Crowded. Messy. I tend to throw papers with ideas on them onto the floor when I get frustrated. A dragon crock pot filled with ideas (on the pieces of paper I didn’t toss on the floor) inside, and a box of notecards for random ideas. Of course, my laptop, and some little wooden bobble-head-like animals in the other corner (two turtles and a fish).

Do you have any quirks when it comes to writing?
I sing—badly—when I’m outlining, but not when I’m writing or I start typing the song lyrics instead of my novel. When I’m writing a battle scene, I can only have songs by Two Steps From Hell playing. Oh, and I refuse to let anyone read my novel until it’s completely finished (and in some cases, also completely edited).

How did you come up with your main character’s name and what are they like?
I found my protagonist’s name, Rayne, while flipping through a baby name book. Sometimes I have this feeling about a name, as if it was meant for that character. She used to be called “Gia” (short for “Giovanna”) but it didn’t feel right. “Rayne” did, so it stuck.

Rayne isn’t your average barmaid. She was born with unusual tattoos surrounding her face that Marked her as one of the Chosen—a select group of people who were born at the same time as a dragon, to which they could bond with. Her caring nature is tested when she’s faced with the challenges of the Labyrinth and a friend’s betrayal, but her strength lies in her persistence. Rayne is stubborn and, at times, a little too headstrong. But her friends love her for it. She’s a natural leader despite trying to stay out of the spotlight most of her life. However, Rayne’s happy with who she is and knows she’ll make the right choices in the end.

Here’s Rayne:
I really shouldn't be talking to you, what with trying to plan a rebellion and all. But you seem nice enough. I guess I should start at the beginning. I used to be a barmaid, ended up a Dragon Rider, and now I'm heading a revolt against our king. My friends say I've changed from my soft-hearted, playful self into the leader they needed. Scorpeo just likes to call me pig-headed behind my back--I'll get him back for that someday. If I had to describe myself, I'd say I was courageous (I faced a Labyrinth filled with monsters. I have the right to gloat a little.), sometimes reckless, not always the greatest decision maker, and definitely not ready to take on the responsibility being thrust upon me. It's a hard life, but I don't think I could ever turn back from it now.

What are you currently working on?
I’m in the process of editing Chosen, along with working on world-building/outlining for an urban fantasy idea I had (working title is Alpha).

What wrimo sites are you on?
Right now, I’m only on the main NaNoWriMo site under “Austine.” My forum habits are less than desirable (as I have a tendency to forget to post because I’m writing) so I’ve avoided joining any others.

What future plans do you have for your book?
I’m hoping to get it published one day, but it still has to go through editing, submitting to agents, etc., before that happens.

What authors inspired you to write your book?
I don’t think I can pinpoint just one author. I’ve read so many great books by so many great authors, and I think it’s the combination of them all that really kept me going until I finished Chosen.

Which of your character do you relate to the most?
For me, as I was writing about Rayne, it was like I was writing about my best friend. She’s strong and sure of herself, and she doesn’t back down when faced with a challenge. Her goals are to survive and to be free from an oppressor. Like me, she’s stubborn as a mule, but other than that, our only common characteristic is that we do what we feel is right. It might not seem that way to others, but we don’t listen to what they have to say if it feels wrong. They say that it’s inevitable that part of a writer will some embed itself in their characters. Rayne holds a part of me that may not be the best part, but it’s there and part of her character.

Do you prefer books to movies in the film adaptation from books?
It depends on the book/movie. For example, I loved Eragon by Christopher Paolini, but hated the movie. On the other hand, I’d rather watch the Vampire Diaries show than read the books by L.J. Smith. But there is an in-between in the form of Harry Potter. I loved the books, and love the movies. But mostly, it depends.

Do you get writer’s block? If so, what do you do to pass the time, or get rid of it?
I always get writer’s block. It’s a curse, I swear. I’ve found the only way to break it is to step away from the computer for a while, turn up the music, and lay on my bed so I can stare at the ceiling. By letting my mind just wander, it takes away the pressure of writer’s block and gets those creative juices flowing again. Showers are pretty helpful too, or sometimes cleaning (no matter how much I detest it).

Authors you look forward to new books from the most?
The ones I can name off the top of my head are Richelle Mead, Scott Westerfeld, Charlaine Harris, Janet Evanovich, Jeaniene Frost, and Tamora Pierce. But there are so many authors I like out there that it’s hard to narrow it down.

Do you have a writing schedule?
Not really. I usually write whenever I have time.

Favorite quote?
“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ~G.K. Chesterton

 Bio:
Austine Decker’s love of reading sparked her to write her debut novel Chosen at the age of sixteen. Previously unpublished, Austine has submitted to and works on the staff of her school’s literary journal, Asylum. Austine lives with her family and assortment of pets, including a devious hamster named Merlin, and plans to attend college after high school. Her drugs of choice are cheese puffs and Skittles, and she loves music almost as much as writing. For more information, you can find her at: The Magic Pen.

Thanks, Austine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!