Saturday, June 18, 2011

Week 24 Review: Grease Town

From Goodreads:
A heartbreaking history of prejudice, family ties, and the loss of innocence.When twelve-year-old Titus Sullivan decides to run away to join his Uncle Amos and older brother, Lem, he finds an alien and exciting world in Oil Springs, the first Canadian oil boomtown of the 19th century.


The Enniskillen swamp is slick with oil, and it takes enterprising folk to plumb its depths. The adventurers who work there are a tough lot of individuals. In this hard world, Titus becomes friends with a young black boy, the child of slaves who came to Canada on the Underground Railroad. When tragedy strikes in the form of a race riot, Titus's loyalties are tested as he struggles to deal with the terrible fallout.

My review:
I loved this book, it was really good, and I received it for review from LibraryThing, so thanks to them and the publisher!

It was a bit short, but that might be because I'm used to reading about 300-400 pages a day, at least.

But the characters were good, and yeah, I enjoyed it! The plot was good, and I thought that it wrapped up quite nicely, if a bit fast, and the bad guys didn't get the punishment that I wanted them to get (they were racist drunks who hurt people) but they did go to jail, which was just what they deserved!

It was a very good book, and I hope you guys check it out!

Author: Ann Towell
Read: July 12th, 2011
Source: I won it from LibraryThing!
Reason Why: Sounded really good!
Publisher: Tundra Books
Published: February 9th 2010
4/5 Hearts
3.5/5 Books
3.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!