Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Looking Back at the Decade, 2010's Version

Time for my first (but hopefully not last) Looking Back at the Decade post! I actually asked the internet whether this decade ends on December 31st, 2019, or the last day of 2020. The whole, no 0 year, argument, was beat out by the whole decade used to mean a collection of 10 years, which we can decide where it starts, and social conventions (an example was given that we wouldn't call someone born in 1970 a 60's baby) means that this is the end of a decade that started January 1st, 2010.

What happened in that decade, for me, personally? A lot, especially of milestones. I mean, this is my 3rd decade of life-0 to 10, 11 to 20, 21 to now. I was 15 at the start of this decade. I finished high school. I went to college. Had a bit of time off. Finished college. Basically did nothing. Finally got a job this year, so that's pretty great!

I also started blogging in 2011, so I've almost been blogging for 10 years now, which is pretty crazy. In the 9 years that I've been using Goodreads, it's tracked that I've read 379 in 2011, 790 in 2012, 849 in 2013, 562 in 2014, 555 in 2015, 702 in 2016, 580 in 2017, 594 in 2018, and now 557 in 2019, for a total of 5568 books, novellas, short stories and deleted scenes in the decade. I mean, I did read in 2010, and in 2011 before I started on Goodreads, but I have no idea, because I didn't track then. But yeah, to read on average, 500 books a year, that's pretty great, and I'm happy with that, and hope to continue in this coming decade!

There were some ups and downs. Most notably, of my dog, Winky, on January 1st, 2019. That it's going to be the 1 year anniversary tomorrow is a little heartbreaking, because it doesn't feel like it's been that long that we've been without out her. Dobby is getting older, he's had cancer removed from one spot twice, the last time 1 1/2 years ago, and it's already back. Unfortunately, we're probably not going to remove it this time. He's almost 12, and he's tired, so we're in the final stretch of time with him. I'm trying to make sure to document as many memories as I can with him, and with Jax, too.

There have also been some fantastic moments, because we adopted Jax, and he's just a ball of energy, I didn't realize how less energetic Dobby had become. He's a kissing fool, as my mom says, though I'm the only one really allows it, to the point that if other family members want kisses, and I'm there, well, they don't get many kisses. He's also lost weight, and he's about healthy weight now, though we'll see when we go to the vet in a couple of months. But from the one thing that I remember-that you're supposed to look down at a dog, and have the area after the ribs be a little smaller than the ribs, but without the ribs being stick thin, that's the healthy spot for dogs. And Jax is about there. He'll always be our hefty boy, he's pretty solid, that's his breed, I think. He also snores less, which may or may not be part of the weight loss. He's also a strange one that almost always has to lick whatever he's going bed on, to the point that I've put down a blanket on my bed. He sometimes dominates blankets, too. I have no idea if it's just his personality, if he's got issues with having been given up for adoption, if it's a "I'm stressed" or stress-revealing action or what. Comment if you know, please!

I started working on being healthy, on losing weight. As in, I was over 100 pounds over what's the highest weight for a female of my height. In the 16 months since I've started, I'm in a much better place, though I still have a long way to go. Also taking care of myself is part of it, though I have some ups and downs, espcailly with skin care. I had gotten into a good habit, then I got hives and thought the products I was using were causing it. Turns out it was my food, which I had no idea, but by the time I found out, I'd already stopped, and haven't really picked the habit back up again. Going to try again, though!

Yeah, those were some of the highlights of my decade. What I want to happen in the 2020's? I'll be 35 in 2029, which is so weird to think about. Continue on being healthy, get to a healthy weight, take care of myself. I would like to buy a house, maybe a car, but definitely going to try for a house. Read a lot, of course. I'm trying to convince my mom that we should adopt another doggie, but if I move out, then I'd like a dog, probably, of my own. Yeah, that's about all that I want.

What about you guys? Hope you've had a great decade, and I wish you a wonderful new one! Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!