Saturday, October 24, 2020

Week 43 Review: Fortuna

From Goodreads:
Fortuna launches a new space opera trilogy that will hook you from the first crash landing.

Scorpia Kaiser has always stood in Corvus's shadow until the day her older brother abandons their family to participate in a profitless war. However, becoming the heir to her mother's smuggling operation is not an easy transition for the always rebellious, usually reckless, and occasionally drunk pilot of the Fortuna, an aging cargo ship and the only home Scorpia has ever known.

But when a deal turns deadly and Corvus returns from the war, Scorpia's plans to take over the family business are interrupted, and the Kaiser siblings are forced to make a choice: take responsibility for their family's involvement in a devastating massacre or lay low and hope it blows over.

Too bad Scorpia was never any good at staying out of a fight.

My Review:
This book was fantastic. I loved the world and the world building, and these characters were really great. Nothing says a speed bump in the road like family! I just wanted to know what the heck was going on, and how Scorpia and her brother were going to fix it.

I did have a different picture of what this book would be like. I think I saw bits like smuggling operation and only home she's ever known, and thought that her and her family were some sort of rulers of a planet with a side operation of smuggling. So I was in for a surprise there!

The whole idea of humanity going into the stars to find homes, doing so, but having been on the ships so long that each ship had developed a culture, and now that they've found new homes, they don't relate with one another, well, it rings true, unfortunately. And the whole citizens of planet/lack of travel what with restrictions, it's saddening.

One thing that I really was interested in this book was the alien metal. I was concerned about it, because they have really no clue about it, and it did play a role in how things went down. I just loved how things worked out. It's not a perfect solution, and there's going to be work to be done, not to mention the threat still posing a risk. I really enjoyed how it played out in this book, and I'm excited to see how it plays out in the next!

This was a really great read, and I can't wait for the sequel! I had such a great time reading it!

Author: Kristyn Merbeth
Series: Nova Vita Protocol #1
Read: October 18th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Orbit
Published: November 5th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!