Saturday, October 24, 2020

Week 43 Review: Beyond the Black Door

From Goodreads:
Kamai was warned never to open the black door, but she didn't listen ...

Everyone has a soul. Some are beautiful gardens, others are frightening dungeons. Soulwalkers―like Kamai and her mother―can journey into other people's souls while they sleep.

But no matter where Kamai visits, she sees the black door. It follows her into every soul, and her mother has told her to never, ever open it.

When Kamai touches the door, it is warm and beating, like it has a pulse. When she puts her ear to it, she hears her own name whispered from the other side. And when tragedy strikes, Kamai does the unthinkable: she opens the door.

A.M. Strickland's imaginative dark fantasy features court intrigue and romance, a main character coming to terms with her asexuality, and twists and turns as a seductive mystery unfolds that endangers not just Kamai's own soul, but the entire kingdom...

My Review:
Reading this book was just so excellent! I've recently added being on the ace spectrum to my identify, and this is one of the few-and the first that I've done since I did so-that has ace rep. So I was really thrilled and excited to read this book!

I was so interested to see what was beyond the black door, as well as to learn about the magic that Kamai and her mother have. I just wanted to know more. I just loved Kamai going on this journey, and how it tied into the other parts of the plot!

I felt so bad for Kamai, her life gets turned upside down very suddenly, and she goes to live with her dad (and boy is that an experience) and there's just a lot going on, and a lot of upheaval, and it's hard to know who to trust, given all the betrayals that Kamai has gone through.

That ending was just amazing. Kamai was strong and she was smart, and I really enjoyed how she worked to solve things. And I just really enjoyed how things resolved, it was really stratifying, and I overall just had a great time reading this book! 

This was a really great read, and I can't wait to read more by A.M. Strickland, under this name or her her other published name!

Author: A.M. Strickland
Read: October 19th, 2020
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book, SAC 2020 Book, and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Imprint
Published: October 29th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!