Saturday, January 23, 2021

Week 3 Reviews: The Queen's Weapons, Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness




From Goodreads:
Enter the dark and sensual realms of the Black Jewels, a world where power always has a price, in this sweeping story in the New York Times bestselling fantasy saga.

They are Warlord Princes, men born to serve and protect. They are the Queen's Weapons, men born to destroy the Queen's enemies--no matter what face that enemy wears.

Daemonar Yaslana knows how to be bossy yet supportive--traits he shares with his father, the Demon Prince, and his uncle, the High Lord of Hell. Within his generation of the family, he assumes the role of protector, supporting his sister Titian's artistic efforts and curbing his cousin Jaenelle Saetien's more adventurous ideas. But when a young Eyrien Queen, someone Titian thought was a friend, inflicts an emotional wound, Daemonar's counterattack brings him under the tutelage of Witch, the Queen whose continued existence is known only to a select few.

As Daemonar is confronted by troubling changes within and around the family, he sees warnings that a taint in the Blood might be reappearing. Daemonar, along with his father and uncle, must uncover the source of a familiar evil--and Daemon Sadi, the High Lord of Hell, may be forced into making a terrible choice.

From Goodreads:
The Dark Kingdom is preparing itself for the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy--the arrival of a new Queen, a Witch who will wield more power than even the High Lord of Hell himself. But this new ruler is young, and very susceptible to influence and corruption; whoever controls her controls the Darkness. And now, three sworn enemies begin a ruthless game of politics and intrigue, magic and betrayal, and the destiny of an entire world is at stake.

From Goodreads:
Enough time has passed for the young girl Jaenelle, heir to the magical Darkness, for her physical wounds to heal, while amnesia keeps her frightening memories at bay. But with Saetan--a Black-Jewelled Warlord Prince and Jaenelle's foster-father--to protect her, she will continue to grow. Her magic will mature. Her memories will return. And Jaenelle will face her destiny when she remembers Daemon, Saetan's son, who made the ultimate sacrifice for her love.... 

From Goodreads:
Jaenelle Angelline now reigns as Queen-protector of the Shadow Realm. No longer will the corrupt Blood slaughter her people and defile her lands. But where one chapter ends, a final, unseen battle remains to be written, and Jaenelle must unleash the terrible power that is Witch to destroy her enemies once and for all.

Even so, she cannot stand alone. Somewhere, long lost in madness, is Daemon, her promised Consort. Only his unyielding love can complete her Court and secure her reign. Yet, even together, their strength may not be enough to hold back the most malevolent of forces.

My first review of Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness
My Review:
Well, I love this series so much! I wasn't planning on reading any of these books, but then I was approved for The Queen's Weapons, and I loved it so much, and I was so nostalgic for the original trilogy, that I had to reread it again just over a year later! I did skip over parts, Surreal and Dorothea's mainly. I skipped the most from Blood, a bit from Shadows, and none from Darkness, because everything was gearing up for the ending!

The Queen's Weapons, oh, was it unexpected! I'm not sure if it's technically spoilers, but yeah, I wasn't expecting that! But it worked really well with the story, it's about the younger generation growing up, and of the taint coming back to the Blood. Of Jaenelle Saetien's struggle with being named after Jaenelle Angelline, and of never doing anything original. 

I'm a bit conflicted on the ending, but not for the same reason that I've seen other people not totally love it. Because it's just a little sad, how everything wrapped up. And the implications of one discovery. So it's just a little sad, and I would love to have a 12th entry, at least after her 2022 Other's book!

One thing that I loved about rereading these books, is that one of the characters that Queen's Weapons deals with, is briefly mentioned in Darkness. So that automatically made it worth it, to see this character's first appearance! Because I'd totally forgotten about it, since it was so brief.

I have to say, I teared up at that one scene in Darkness, when the demon dead were going to the nets. Sure, they've been demon dead for so many years, but darn it, it still makes me a bit sad! Especially knowing how things continue in the series, well, of 11 books, they're only in 3, it's just a bit sad to me! But that is life, and death in this world!

I absolutely loved these books, and I just really need to read the rest of Anne Bishop's books!  

Author: Anne Bishop
Series: The Black Jewels #11, 1, 2, 3
First Read: January 14th, 14th, 15th, 2020
Read: January 21st, 22nd, 22nd, 22nd, 22nd, 2021
Source: NetGalley, Own 
Reason Why: Got an ARC of The Queen's Weapons, so I had to reread the initial trilogy! And they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Books! And The Queen's Weapons is a WoW Book!
Publisher: Ace, Roc
Published: March 9th 2021, March 1st 1998, April 1st 1999, January 1st 2000

The Queen's Weapons:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Daughter of the Blood:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Heir to the Shadows:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Queen of the Darkness:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!