Saturday, March 5, 2022

Week 9 Review: An Impossible Impostor

From Goodreads:
While investigating a man claiming to be the long-lost heir to a noble family, Veronica Speedwell gets the surprise of her life in this new adventure from the New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award-nominated author Deanna Raybourn.

London, 1889. Veronica Speedwell and her natural historian beau Stoker are summoned by Sir Hugo Montgomerie, head of Special Branch. He has a personal request on behalf of his goddaughter, Euphemia Hathaway. After years of traveling the world, her eldest brother, Jonathan, heir to Hathaway Hall, was believed to have been killed in the catastrophic eruption of Krakatoa a few years before.

But now a man matching Jonathan's description and carrying his possessions has arrived at Hathaway Hall with no memory of his identity or where he has been. Could this man truly be Jonathan, back from the dead? Or is he a devious impostor, determined to gain ownership over the family's most valuable possessions--a legendary parure of priceless Rajasthani jewels? It's a delicate situation, and Veronica is Sir Hugo's only hope.

Veronica and Stoker agree to go to Hathaway Hall to covertly investigate the mysterious amnesiac. Veronica is soon shocked to find herself face-to-face with a ghost from her past. To help Sir Hugo discover the truth, she must open doors to her own history that she long believed to be shut for good. 

My Review:
This was such a great read! I adore this series so much, and I had such a great time wit this mystery! It went in a completely unexpected direction-I thought it would take primarily at Hathaway Hall, but they do leave, and things continue afterwards, and that was so great! 

This is a book in a mystery in two parts, one leading into the other. And the first is, who is this guy that seems to be Jonathan-is it really him or is it someone pretending to be him? And then the second part dealt with the events that happened while our duo was at Hathaway Hall. And I loved this story so much!

We learn a lot about Veronica's past in this book, of a time when she was really young, and of moments that have become pretty pivotal to who she is as a person. And I really enjoyed learning about it, though it did cause a lot a drama!

There were quite a few moving pieces and boy did was that ending chaotic and intense! I loved how it all turned out, but oh did the way those final scenes wrap up have me on the edge of my seat for the next book! I need to know what's going to happen next! 

Loved reading this book, and I'm absolutely dying for the next one! 

Author: Denna Raybourn
Series: Veronica Speedwell #7
Read: March 1st, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love her writing and this series, and it's a Historical Fiction 2022 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Berkley
Published: February 15th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!