Saturday, March 26, 2016

Week 13 Review: The Lie Tree

From Goodreads:
In this deliciously creepy novel by the author of the critically acclaimed Cuckoo Song, the fruit of a magical tree uncovers dangerous truths

Faith Sunderly leads a double life. To most people, she is reliable, dull, trustworthy—a proper young lady who knows her place as inferior to men. But inside, Faith is full of questions and curiosity, and she cannot resist mysteries: an unattended envelope, an unlocked door. She knows secrets no one suspects her of knowing. She knows that her family moved to the close-knit island of Vane because her famous scientist father was fleeing a reputation-destroying scandal. And she knows, when her father is discovered dead shortly thereafter, that he was murdered.

In pursuit of justice and revenge, Faith hunts through her father's possessions and discovers a strange tree. The tree only bears fruit when she whispers a lie to it. The fruit of the tree, when eaten, delivers a hidden truth. The tree might hold the key to her father's murder—or it may lure the murderer directly to Faith herself. 

My Review:
I really enjoyed this book! It was just that, it was for a slightly younger audience. And I loved to hate this time and attitude towards women. It was a really great book, but for me, not one that I'll read again any time soon!

There was a big thing in the background of this book that was only slightly mentioned in the synopsis-the inferior to men bit. To my untrained eye, this book seemed to be set in the 1800's what with the gentlemen scientists, younger sons going to be clergy, the level and amount of science, And that attitude was thoroughly annoying-I'm glad that I was born in this time! There might still be discrimination against women, but it's better then it was then!

Faith struggled against these restrictions. Though she was a product of her times, she initially thought her curiosity and inquisitiveness basically evil. She's also at that awkward time between childhood and adulthood. I loved watching her on this journey!

The whole thing with the lie tree, that was really fascinating! Loved how that all worked! It was really interesting and unique and enjoyable! It was a bit of a guilty pleasure, because lies are bad. But the balance of that was truth, so yeah. Guilty pleasure!

Really interesting book and enjoyable, just not a great fit with me!

Author: Frances Hardinge
Read: March 21st, 2016
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: It sounded great, and I wanted to read it! And it's a SAC 2016 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Amulet Books
Expected Publication: May 10th 2016
5/5 Hearts
3.5/5 Books
3.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!