Saturday, March 19, 2016

Week 12 Review: You Were Here

From Goodreads:
Grief turned Jaycee into a daredevil, but can she dare to deal with her past?

On the anniversary of her dardevil brother's death, Jaycee attempts to break into Jake's favorite hideout—the petrifying ruins of an insane asylum. Joined by four classmates, each with their own brand of disfunction, Jaycee discovers a map detailing her brother's exploration and the unfinished dares he left behind.

As a tribute to Jake, Jaycee vows to complete the dares, no matter how terrifying or dangerous. What she doesn't bargain on is her eccentric band of friends who challenge her to do the unthinkable: reveal the parts of herself that she buried with her brother.

My Review:
This book was just so great! I loved reading about Jaycee and her friends, and yeah, I just absolutely loved reading this book! It was different, with the three characters narrating in words, while Bishop had his graffiti art, and Mik had his comic book/graphic novel scenes!

I enjoyed reading about all of these characters! They all had their stories, their secrets, and it was just so enjoyable to read about them! Jaycee, the girl who saw her brother die, Natalie with anxiety attacks, Zach with a troubled home life, Bishop who had an intense relationship and then she just broke it off, Mik who is a selective mute. Yeah.

The thing about this book, for me, is about dealing with loss, and moving on. And it manifested itself in different ways. Jaycee, as the synopsis says, turns to being a daredevil. Natalie tried to control everything. And so on.

Loved how they went to the various places that her brother did, and then did the dares that he did. It was a part of the grieving process, and it brought out secrets. Relationships were tested, and not all of them survived in the same form that they started-I'm talking about Natalie and Jack's romantic relationship!

Such a fantastic book, it was so enjoyable, and I just loved the story and the characters so much!

Author: Cori McCarthy
Read: March 17th, 2016
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: It sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2016 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: March 1st 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!