Saturday, June 5, 2021

Week 22 Review: Heartless

From Goodreads:
Vengeance is irresistible…

Kaysar the Unhinged One, fae King of Midnight, can drive anyone to madness with his song. A ruthless warrior forged in hate, he lives to force his enemies to their knees. He will stop at nothing to succeed—even abduct and seduce his foe's beloved bride, ensuring his own child one day sits on the male's throne. Except, his prize escapes to the mortal realm before the first kiss, her heart transplanted into a mortal beauty with dangerous secrets…

Chantel "Cookie" Bardot is a professional gamer girl great at trash talking, bad at peopling. After a long awaited surgery, she begins to morph into a powerful fae princess. Catapulted into a strange land ruled by a cruel but seductive villain, she must battle flesh and blood monsters and navigate royal intrigues. But the true danger is Kaysar, whose every wicked touch tempts her beyond reason. Should she run…or descend into the darkness with him? 

My Review:
I really enjoyed this book! I loved this world, and I really enjoyed these characters! Both Kaysar and Cookie were a little twisted, and I loved that about them! I loved this world and the various powers that they could have, like the clothing that Cookie put on becoming a persona that she puts on, and the politics of the land. I loved watching their relationship grow, watch them face obstacles that others put in their path-and the traumas that they're both dealing with.

For Kaysar, his main obstacle is his missing sister, and his subsequent vengeance on the Frostlines for what they did to him. And he thinks he has it the best, that he can have his vengeance and have Cookie. But for her, her issue is of not being the number one priority. Her parents didn't want her, and she just wants to be first, but Kaysar's vengeance comes before her. And that causes a lot of tension and drama! 

I felt so badly for Cookie, that she loves Kaysar enough to do something that might make him hate her. That's a terrifying prospect, but she was doing the right thing. It had a cost, but it was for the better. And I enjoyed how it worked out in the end! 

I'm really wondering what happened to Kaysar's sister. I'm wondering what that cabin that Lulundria had in the mortal world. And the picture that was there. And the fact that the game that Cookie played was created, based on the Fae world. Questions that I need answers for! 

The one thing that has me a little anxious, is the fact that The Forest of Good and Evil is mentioned, in the real world. Which has me worried that that series might be over now, with just the two books, and that'd make me sad. On the other hand, it could mean a full crossover. I just don't know, and it has me worried! 

This was a really fantastic read, and I can't wait to see where this series goes! 

Author: Gena Showalter
Series: Immortal Enemies #1 
Read: May 29th, 2021
Source: Edelweiss 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded like a great new series, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: HQN Books
Published: June 29th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!