Saturday, June 25, 2022

Week 25 Review: The Defiant Heir

From Goodreads:
Across the border, the Witch Lords of Vaskandar are preparing for war. But before an invasion can begin, they must call a rare gathering of all seventeen lords to decide a course of action.

Lady Amalia Cornaro knows that this Conclave might be her only chance to smother the growing flames of war, and she is ready to make any sacrifice if it means saving Raverra from destruction.

Amalia and Zaira must go behind enemy lines, using every ounce of wit and cunning they have, to sway Vaskandar from war. Or else it will all come down to swords and fire.

The Defiant Heir is the second novel in a spellbinding new fantasy series.

My Review:
Man, this was a fantastic read! I'm loving being in this world, the stories are so compelling, and I'm having a great time following Amalia's story! The stakes are just so high, and she puts a lot of pressures on herself, given the level of society that she holds.

I have read The Obsidian Tower, but that was 2 years ago. But that was from the perspective of a native Vaskandaran. So coming from a Raverra perspective, it was so interesting to see Vaskandar from Amalia's perspective. Plus, there was so much to learn about the magic-it was so interesting to read! 

The stakes are very high in this-the last time they warred, it was only 3 Witch-Lords-of the 17. And more support war now. And if Amalia doesn't convince the others to ally with her, or at least not be her enemy. Which is a tough ask. Ah, the politics, they were just so great to read!

I'm so excited to see where things go from here! Crow Lord Kathe was a great addition to the series, though he was a bit of a hell-raiser. Marcello Verdi's part of this book was pretty heartbreaking, and I need to know how everything is going to play out! 

This was an amazing read, and I can't wait to read the final book in the trilogy! 

Author: Melissa Caruso
Series: Swords and Fire #2
Read: June 23rd, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love her writing and this series, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book! 
Publisher: Orbit
Published: April 19th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!