Saturday, June 25, 2022

Week 25 Review: Daughter of Redwinter

From Goodreads:
Those who see the dead soon join them.

From the author of the critically-acclaimed Blackwing trilogy comes Ed McDonald's Daughter of Redwinter, the first of a brilliant fantasy series about how one choice can change a universe.

Raine can see--and more importantly, speak--to the dead. It's a wretched gift with a death sentence that has her doing many dubious things to save her skin. Seeking refuge with a deluded cult is her latest bad, survival-related decision. But her rare act of kindness--rescuing an injured woman in the snow--is even worse.

Because the woman has escaped from Redwinter, the fortress-monastery of the Draoihn, warrior magicians who answer to no king and who will stop at nothing to retrieve what she's stolen. A battle, a betrayal, and a horrific revelation forces Raine to enter Redwinter. It becomes clear that her ability might save an entire nation.

Pity she might have to die for that to happen...

My Review:
Man, this was a fantastic read! This world was so well developed, with history that I can't wait to learn more of. With characters that I had such a great time reading about! This is the kinda of fantasy that is dense, in that way where you have to read it just a little bit slower, so you can pick up the meaning and understand what the heck was going on. 

The synopsis had me thinking on thing. And then the beginning was all this random craziness that I had no idea what was going on, and then things slowed down, and we had a chance to understand this world, what Raine could do-and why people with it get killed.

Raine is understandably hardened to the world. And what happens to her in the castle, that didn't help things. And then to not be offered this opportunity, was not a fun experience either. But she's at Redwinter, and oh, the politics and goings on are fraught with danger!  

I loved that ending, how she used all the skills she had available, and beat the bad guy. I'm excited to see where the sequel goes, because there was quite a bit of politics going on, and just because this was resolved, doesn't mean there won't be more trouble in the future! 

There's so much history and magic and potential to this world. We only scratched the surface of what we can learn, and I'm really excited to see where the series goes from here! And what Raine adds to the table, I can't wait to see how things are shaken up! 

This was a fantastic read, and I can't wait for the sequel! 

Author: Ed McDonald
Series: The Redwinter Chronicles #1
Read: June 19th, 2022 
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Tor Books 
Expected Publication: June 28th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!