Saturday, June 25, 2022

Week 25 Review: Malice

From Goodreads:
A princess isn't supposed to fall for an evil sorceress. But in this darkly magical retelling of "Sleeping Beauty," true love is more than a simple fairy tale.

Once upon a time, there was a wicked fairy who, in an act of vengeance, cursed a line of princesses to die. A curse that could only be broken by true love's kiss.

You've heard this before, haven't you? The handsome prince. The happily-ever-after.

Utter nonsense.

Let me tell you, no one in Briar actually cares about what happens to its princesses. Not the way they care about their jewels and elaborate parties and charm-granting elixirs. I thought I didn't care, either.

Until I met her.

Princess Aurora. The last heir to Briar's throne. Kind. Gracious. The future queen her realm needs. One who isn't bothered that I am Alyce, the Dark Grace, abhorred and feared for the mysterious dark magic that runs in my veins. Humiliated and shamed by the same nobles who pay me to bottle hexes and then brand me a monster. Aurora says I should be proud of my gifts. That she . . . cares for me. Even though it was a power like mine that was responsible for her curse.

But with less than a year until that curse will kill her, any future I might see with Aurora is swiftly disintegrating—and she can't stand to kiss yet another insipid prince. I want to help her. If my power began her curse, perhaps it's what can lift it. Perhaps, together, we could forge a new world.

Nonsense again.

Because we all know how this story ends, don't we? Aurora is the beautiful princess. And I—

I am the villain.

My Review:
Oh, I loved reading this book! This was such a great retelling of Sleeping Beauty-and from the so-called villain's perspective! And that it's queer, was just even better! I just loved Alyce and her story! I can't wait to read more!

Alyce is very bitter, and very sarcastic, which is well deserved. It was great narration to read! She's been treated horribly because of her heritage, that she's half Vila. She has no friends, she does have an animal companion, but there's almost no positive interactions in her life until she meets Aurora. And boy, did I love their relationship with on another! 

This world with the fae and the graces was so interesting to read! There was a history to the realm that was interesting, and the fights, and it was all so intriguing, and tying into why Alyce was being treated the way she was. And you have to consider, history is written by the victors, and there's a lot that Alyce doesn't know. 

Oh, that ending was evil! I guess I should've seen the main part of it coming, that Aurora would end up sleeping. But everything surrounding it, that was a total shock, and that so much betrayal and awfulness was surrounding her? Well, it's understandable why she reacted the way that she did! 

This was a really amazing read, and I can't wait to read the sequel! 

Author: Heather Walter
Series: Malice Duology #1 
Read: June 18th, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike  
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a 2022 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, DAC Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book and a RR Book!
Publisher: Del Rey
Published: April 13th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!