Saturday, August 6, 2022

Week 31 Reviews: The Basilisk of Star Manor, The Company of Fiends, A Lady of Rooksgrave Manor



The basilisk Marius is Star Manor's latest client, but he arrives fresh from an offer from the Manor's greatest enemy. The innocent young woman he is matched with for a companion challenges what he knows of his own nature and poses a problem for his bargain. Can a cold heart thaw, or will a venomous man remain a poison to those he sinks his fangs into?

After eight years on the stage with The Company of Fiends, the glow of the spotlight is starting to wear thin for Hazel Nix. The theater is perfect for a girl like her—one with a secret she keeps even from her more monstrous peers—but playing pretend is only exciting for so long. After so many lovers, on stage and otherwise, Hazel has yet to make a lasting connection with anyone and considers taking her last bow at the company.

Just as Hazel encounters a new and intriguing patron, disaster strikes the theater. Girls are going missing and suspiciously bad luck plagues the stage. Between ex-lovers, current bed partners, and new faces at the theater, Hazel's heart is tangled more than ever and she finds it increasingly impossible to draw herself away from the life she's known for so long.

It is time to make a choice. Start fresh before she's drawn into the mess, or take a stand and fight for the family she's found in the strangest of places. 

From Goodreads:
On the brink of losing her position as a maid and with no prospects to go on, the offer of a place at Rooksgrave Manor—a house of ill and unusual repute—sounds like a perfect fit for a young woman with Esther's inclinations. Even better, the invitation comes by the hand of the handsome Dr. Underwood, a delicate gentleman with a ferocious alter ego who knows exactly what he wants from Esther.

Upon arrival the men and the daily decadence of the manor feel too good to be true for a girl of Esther's station. There are rules to be followed, expectations to meet, and Esther is afraid she might be too wicked even for a place like Rooksgrave.

Temptations lurk around every shadowy corner and Esther has never been a girl able to resist. But the risk of disappointing her new gentlemen isn't all that's threatening Esther's new position. Rooksgrave Manor's protections for its unusual patrons are failing, the wards are crumbling, and Esther's new and exquisitely pleasurable life may all come tumbling down.

My first review of A Lady of Rooksgrave Manor 
My Review:
I had such a blast reading these books! I did read them wildly out of order-I remembered that The Company of Fiends, while it's publishing date was moved from May, should have come out soon, and it did, over a month ago, and I started it, but when I started to make this post, I saw The Basilisk of Star Manor, so I had to read that first, then come back to Company of Fiends. And I was just loving being in this world so much, that I had to go back and read book 1! Yeah. 

The Basilisk of Star Manor was interesting, because the hero went in in cahoots with Birsha, and he wasn't the nicest of people. But I really enjoyed this type of basilisk, it was really interesting. And I'm hoping that the uniqueness/threat that he poses, is why he went to Birsha in the first place, and not because he was the ideal client. 

The Company of Fiends was really great, we got to go there in the first book, and Hazel works there. It was really interesting to have these dynamics-she's half nymph and has to keep it a secret, so she's always been in this world, but she's also been a part of the company for 8 years. So that was different to read about.

I enjoyed getting to see other monstrous men, and the different ways that their species worked. And we got to see Hunter again, and that was really great, he deserved happiness after what he went through. Which is part of the reason why I reread Rooksgrave Manor, because I'd forgotten him. So all in all, I'm so glad that I read all of these books! 

Loved being in this world, and I can't wait for book 3! 

Author: Kathryn Moon 
Series: Tempting Monsters #1.5, 2, 1
First Read: January 31st, 2022
Read: July 31st, 31st, August 1st, 2022  
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Loved the first book, and they're Historical Fiction 2022 Book and Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and The Company of Fiends is a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Kathryn Moon 
Published: June 7th 2022, June 23rd 2022, March 31st 2021

The Basilisk of Star Manor: 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








The Company of Fiends: 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








A Lady of Rooksgrave Manor
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!