Saturday, November 12, 2022

Week 45 Review: Mysteries of Thorn Manor

From Goodreads:
In this sequel novella to Sorcery of Thorns, Elisabeth, Nathaniel, and Silas must unravel the magical trap keeping them inside Thorn Manor in time for their Midwinter Ball!

Elisabeth Scrivener is finally settling into her new life with sorcerer Nathaniel Thorn. Now that their demon companion Silas has returned, so has scrutiny from nosy reporters hungry for gossip about the city's most powerful sorcerer and the librarian who stole his heart. But something strange is afoot at Thorn Manor: the estate's wards, which are meant to keep their home safe, are acting up and forcibly trapping the Manor's occupants inside. Surely it must be a coincidence that this happened just as Nathaniel and Elisabeth started getting closer to one another...

With no access to the outside world, Elisabeth, Nathaniel, and Silas - along with their new maid Mercy - will have to work together to discover the source of the magic behind the malfunctioning wards before they're due to host the city's Midwinter Ball. Not an easy task when the house is filled with unexpected secrets, and all Elisabeth can think about is kissing Nathaniel in peace. But when it becomes clear that the house, influenced by the magic of Nathaniel's ancestors, requires a price for its obedience, Elisabeth and Nathaniel will have to lean on their connection like never before to set things right.

My Review:
Well I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! There was a gap between the first book and this book, making me think this one wasn't originally planned, but I'm so glad that we got it! I love this world and these characters, and it was fantastic to spend this time with them again!

This is a little self-contained story, mostly. We have Elisabeth, Nathaniel, Silas and Mercy are all stuck in Thorn Manor, because the protections are acting up. And oh, it was a really enjoyable story! Of finding out what caused it-and how to solve it, was just great! 

That the house wants a commitment between Nicholas and Elizabeth, I just found that just a bit funny. And the choices that they made for how they were going to go about that, yeah, I couldn't put it down! I just love these two! 

There was one minor mention, and one major mention, right at the end, about Silas. Which is why this is mostly self-contained, because I could easily see another novella or full length book dealing with that, which I'd happily read! 

Loved reading this book, and if we get more, I'll definitely be reading it! 

Author: Margaret Rogerson
Series: Sorcery of Thorns #1.5
Read: November 8th, 2022
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and the first book, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Expected Publication: January 17th 2023
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!