Saturday, November 26, 2022

Week 47 Review: The Poisoner's Ring

From Goodreads:
Edinburgh, 1869: Modern-day homicide detective Mallory Atkinson is adjusting to her new life in Victorian Scotland. Her employers know she’s not housemaid Catriona Mitchell―even though Mallory is in Catriona's body―and Mallory is now officially an undertaker's assistant. Dr. Duncan Gray moonlights as a medical examiner, and their latest case hits close to home. Men are dropping dead from a powerful poison, and all signs point to the grieving widows… the latest of which is Gray's oldest sister.

Poison is said to be a woman's weapon, though Mallory has to wonder if it's as simple as that. But she must tread carefully. Every move the household makes is being watched, and who knows where the investigation will lead.

My Review:
I absolutely loved reading this book! Kelley Armstrong is an auto-buy author for me, I just love all of her books! I loved this latest installment in this series, seeing Mallory settle in this time, with people who know that she's from our time. Plus the latest mystery was really compelling!

There's still a bit of conflicted feelings with the whole time traveling thing, and how promises and secrets were kept. They do work though things, but it wasn't as smooth as it was for a moment there. But that just means growth with the characters! 

A poisoner's ring, the type where there's a poisoner, and the women who need their help passes on the information after they've been helped, not a ring on the finger that holds poison, is such an interesting idea. Watching the investigation unfold, all the layers and secrets, finding the connections-with the personal angle of Annis, Gray's other sister. I couldn't put it down! 

A small but important question is surrounded her return. How she's going to get back, what she's going to get back to, and, if there's some way she could come back and forth at will. To get the best of both worlds, her family in the present, and these friends she's made in the past. There was some talk about it, but I have no idea how it might be accomplished, and I can't wait to find out! 

This was a fantastic read, and I can't wait for book 3! 

Author: Kelley Armstrong 
Series: A Rip Through Time #2
Read: November 20th, 2022
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and this series, and it's a Historical Fiction 2022 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Minotaur Books
Expected Publication: May 23rd 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!