Saturday, September 30, 2023

Week 39 Review: Cruel Illusions

From Goodreads:
Caraval meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer in this deliciously dark young adult fantasy about a girl who makes a deal with a magical secret society to enter a potentially deadly competition for the chance to avenge her mother's death.

Ever since a vampire murdered her mother, Ava has been determined to get revenge. This all-encompassing drive has given her the fuel she needed to survive foster home after foster home.

But it's been ten years since anyone's seen a vampire, and Ava has lost hope that she'll ever find one…until she stumbles across a hidden magic show where she witnesses impossible illusions. The magicians may not be the bloodsuckers she's hunting, but Ava is convinced something supernatural is at play, so she sneaks backstage and catches them in acts they can't explain.

But they've been waiting for her.

The magicians reveal they're part of an ancient secret society with true magic, and Ava has the same power in her blood that they do. If she joins them, they promise to teach her the skills she needs to hunt vampires and avenge her mother. But there's a catch: if she wants to keep the power they offer, she needs to prove she's worthy of it. And to do so, she must put on the performance of her life in a sinister and dangerous competition where illusion and reality blur, and the stakes are deadly.

My Review:
This book was fantastic! I've been meaning to read it since it came out, but it's a pretty hefty book, and I just  never managed to make the time. But I did, and oh, did I love it! The world of the vampires and the magicians, I couldn't get enough!


Absolutely loved reading this book, it was so fantastic, and I can't wait to read more by Margie Fuston! 

Author: Margie Fuston
Read: September 24th, 2023
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2023 Book, Sophomore Challenge 2022 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Published: November 1st 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!