Saturday, September 30, 2023

Week 39 Review: To Bind a Dark Heart

From Goodreads:
"Run, Gwen. Run as far and as hard as you can. Because when I catch you… You will belong to me."

When she shattered the Iron Crystal and returned magic to Avalon, Gwen also shattered Mordred's heart. Torn between her passion for Mordred and his rage at her betrayal, she fled into the wilds.

Gwen's choice has transformed Avalon, and the island teems with magical wonders freed from the crystal. But Gwen also released the vicious and chaotic elementals. Desperate for revenge against Mordred, some of them see Gwen as an ally, others as a hostage.

Now, the Prince in Iron hunts Gwen relentlessly, though at night he visits her in dreams, unable to break the desire that binds them. She is his weakness. If his enemies captured her, he knows that he would make any deal, break any vow to return her to his side.

As the elementals prepare for battle, Gwen will face an impossible choice. Can she stand by as Avalon's magic is destroyed once again? Or will she fight to overthrow the man she loves?

Building from slow-burn to steam, the Iron Crystal series is packed with alluring villains, dark magic and heart-stopping twists. If you're a fan of Sarah J. Maas, Laura Thalassa and Carissa Broadbent, To Bind a Dark Heart will have you reading late into the night.

My Review:
Oh, I loved reading this book! I was obsessed with the first one, and I'm so glad that this one is coming so soon after! And I'm really hoping book 3 is on a similar time line, because I really, really need to know what is coming next! 

After the breaking of the Iron Crystal, and that betrayal of Mordred by Gwen, yeah, things are drastically changed. Avalon is full of magic again, it's spring. But the Elementals were locked up for a reason, that they don't really care about what harm they can do, and they're, as a lot, pretty bloodthirsty.

I don't remember if we got the actual name of the cat using Merlin's name, but we definitely find out in this book, given who it is. Which makes things all sorts of things complicated, what with the connections in the past and the present! 

Zoe, Galahad's Elemental love, does mention that there could be other ways to deal with things. And I'm really hoping for it! After that ending, that was pretty hard, and I need to know that there's a better way forward! That ending was just evil to leave it there! 

Loved reading this book, it was so fantastic, and now I really need book 3! 

Author: Kathryn Ann Kingsley 
Series: The Iron Crystal #2
Read: September 24th, 2023
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Loved the first book, and it's a 2023 Retelling Reading Challenge Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book! 
Publisher: Second Sky 
Expected Publication: November 3rd 2023
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!