Saturday, September 20, 2014

Week 38 Review: Dead Witch Walking

From Goodreads:
All the creatures of the night gather in "the Hollows" of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party...and to feed.

Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining - and it's Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.

A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead...or undead.

My first review of Dead Witch Walking
My Review:
I loved rereading this book! I don't know why I found it so hard to pick it up again, because I knew it was specular, and I know I read a few other books, but that really isn't no excuse, I put it off, and I guess it's because of the length, but that doesn't make it any less good!

Loved the interactions between all the characters, from Rachel, and Ivy, and Jenks, to Trent, and Nick, and how they're going to grow-like her attitudes, and yeah, I really enjoyed this chance to go back to the beginning, to where it all started, and then see it grow from here again, from a witch who hardly ever made her own spells, and no real defensive anything, to a demoness who is packing a splat gun, and various other help! Love it!

I have a confession to make. I read the ending of The Witch With No Name before finishing this book. So yeah. That was just incredible, just knowing where Rachel's journey is going, Trent's, Jenk's, and Ivy's! So good!

A really important line later on: "Too much sulfur." This is so important, it's one of the first clues that I caught, of Rachel talking about her past, and how she was a Rosewood baby, and that she survived, which means that she's actually a demoness, not a witch. And yeah, that's pretty important to the whole series!

Favourite lines: "Mr. Disney would be appalled. Unless, of course, he had been an Inderlander. That would explain a lot." Aren't the Disney movies less dark then the Grimm tales that they drew from? "Francis is an idiot." Yes, he is. And he's going to be a dead idiot by the end of the book! "Poop ice cream cones, do you?" Ok, that's an image I don't need in my head! "I had nearly blown our cover laughing at Jenk's nonstop, overly dramatic parody of what was going on outside her purse." Fun times! "I am going to get a cat. A big, black cat. I will call my cat Pixy Dust. I will keep it in the garden and not feed it." Yeah there was other stuff going on, but yeah, this threat is pretty great! "Oh, then it's got to be love. She won't let me bite her neck." Yeah, because you'd do it for food and pleasure, he was doing it to help create the illusion that they were killing each other so they could escape! "I wondered what was so dangerous that it had to be locked inside a closet, inside a locked vault, behind a locked door, at the bottom of a government building." Sounds a bit like overkill! "Love, trust, as pixy dust." Sounds good! "Is pretty pixy man too pooped to party?" Pretty good alliteration for someone who almost died, Rachel! "Bubbles, I thought, ought to be marketed as a medicinal inducement for well-being." That sounds nice! "If he didn't like it, tuff toads." That's a weird curse! "But it was nice to know he had at least one human hang-up." Oh, this sucks for the future of pizza! I can't imagine a world where humans mostly despise pizza! "They're release him to a responsible  person. In the absence of one, they said you would do." Love what that says about her! "I know where the sun is better than you know what hole to pee out of." Crude, but pretty right! "It was only a tomato, but one would think I was pulping a decaying heart by the noise the big, strong FIB officers were making." True, it did wipe out like, 50% of humanity, but not these ones! "I had so many plans I was amazed they didn't explode out my ears when I blew my nose." That would be something to see!

Yeah, absolutely loved this book, and now I'm planning on finishing the rest of the series next week, one after another! I can't wait to read The Witch With No Name, and the whole series!

Author: Kim Harrison
Series: The Hollows #1
First Read: July 5th, 2013
Read: September 15th, 2014
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book, and The Witch With No Name came out and I want to be fresh on the whole series for that!
Publisher: Harper Torch
Published: April 27th 2004
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!