Saturday, June 1, 2019

Week 22 Review: Middlegame

From Goodreads:
New York Times bestselling and Alex, Nebula, and Hugo-Award-winning author Seanan McGuire introduces readers to a world of amoral alchemy, shadowy organizations, and impossible cities in this standalone fantasy.

Meet Roger. Skilled with words, languages come easily to him. He instinctively understands how the world works through the power of story.

Meet Dodger, his twin. Numbers are her world, her obsession, her everything. All she understands, she does so through the power of math.

Roger and Dodger aren't exactly human, though they don't realise it. They aren't exactly gods, either. Not entirely. Not yet.

Meet Reed, skilled in the alchemical arts like his progenitor before him. Reed created Dodger and her brother. He's not their father. Not quite. But he has a plan: to raise the twins to the highest power, to ascend with them and claim their authority as his own.

Godhood is attainable. Pray it isn't attained.

My Review:
Yeah, this book was just so strange! I enjoyed reading it, though! I've never read anything like it, there were so many different elements that came together for a thoroughly unique and original book! It was such a great read!

This whole idea of alchemists embodying concepts like Chaos and Order, the doctrine of Ethos, it's pretty interesting. And the Impossible City, which because it's be moving away, can only be gotten to on the Improbable Road, because of a book written by A. Baker. Yeah. It's a bit strange and confusing.

One thing that really helped, was at the beginning of each chapter, it would say what date and time it was, which was helpful, because a big part of this book is that Roger can order Dodger to reset the timeline. So while it goes in chronological order, there still are some time shenanigans going on!

The whole doctrine that Roger and Dodger embody, yeah, it confuses me. Because it was stated by the ancient greek guy, and then moved a step forward, I don't exactly understand what it is, and while it didn't lessen my enjoyment, I would've liked to have understood it!

This was a bizarre and wonderful book that I enjoyed reading immensely! So different!

Author: Seanan McGuire
Read: May 30th, 2019
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: I love her writing and it's a SAC 2019 Book!
Publisher: Tor.com
Published: May 7th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!