Saturday, August 22, 2020

Week 34 Review: The Return

From Goodreads:
Sex and the City meets The Shining in this debut novel that is the perfect storm of thriller, horror and women's friendship. The Return is like nothing else you'll read this year.

When Julie reappears after two years missing with no memory of where she's been, her best friend Elise and the others in their old college gang - Molly and Mae - decide to reunite at the kitschy Red Honey Inn.

But their joy at Julie's return quickly dims. From her gaunt frame and her rotting teeth, to her appetite for meat after a lifelong aversion, Julie has changed beyond recognition. And when bad weather traps them inside, the dynamic among the friends becomes laced with anxiety. Everything in the hotel takes on a menacing quality: the scratching within the walls, the slither of shadows cast by nothing.

When it becomes impossible to deny that the Julie who vanished two years ago is not the same Julie who returned, Elise will have to decide if she wants to save their friendship or save herself.

My Review:
This book was a great, creepy book! It was more atmosphere, wondering if you're crazy for most of the book, but that ending really upped the creepy factor! I loved reading about this group of friends with a returned friend, who isn't who she used to be! It was a fantastic read!

Really, this book is great for people who are detail oriented. Like, there was a bunch of details about the rooms. And I don't really notice those sorts of things, so those details didn't stick in my brain. And when Elise was wondering if she was crazy, I wasn't sure, since I didn't remember those details. So it's not so great for those of us with poor memory!

I really enjoyed reading about these characters. They were all flawed, but Elise and Julie, who were so much alike, were pretty unlikeable. They were both just a little cruel, and I didn't really like them. It was really great to read about their friendships, dealing with the fact that Julie was gone for 2 years, thought dead, but now is backed. But is changed...

My one question is, what was up with the carpet change. I mean, we didn't really have what the bad guy was explained, but what we do know, that doesn't fit in. So I'm wondering what was going on there? I'm confused! Maybe Elise was going a little bit crazy, because of the creep factor from what the bad guy was?

This book was a great read, I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see what Rachel Harrison writes next!

Author: Rachel Harrison
Read: August 17th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Berkley
Published: March 24th 2020
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!