Saturday, August 29, 2020

Week 35 Review: For Whom the Book Tolls

From Goodreads:
In this cozy series debut from Laura Gail Black, Jenna Quinn finds her uncle murdered in his antique bookstore, and Jenna--his primary beneficiary--becomes the prime suspect.

Trouble follows Jenna Quinn wherever she goes. Fleeing some unsavory doings in her hometown of Charlotte, Jenna accepts her uncle's gracious invitation to stay with him in small-town Hokes Folly, NC. In exchange, she'll help him out in his antiquarian bookstore. But soon after she arrives, Jenna finds her uncle's body crumpled at the base of the staircase between his apartment and the bookstore.

Before the tragedy even sinks in, Jenna learns that she's inherited almost everything her uncle owned: the store, the apartment, his not-so-meager savings...and the payout from a life insurance policy valued at more than a million dollars. This is all news to Jenna--bad news, once the police get wind of her windfall. An ill wind, indeed, as a second murder cements Jenna's status as the prime suspect in both deaths.

Jenna can hit the road again, taking her chances that she can elude trouble along the way. Or she can stick it out in Hokes Folly, take over the bookstore, and try to sleuth out her uncle's killer. On the one hand, she's made some wonderful new friends, and she feels she can thrive in the genial small-town environment. On the other hand, trouble knows her address--and so does the killer, who is determined to write the final page of Jenna's story.

My Review:
This book was so much fun to read! I mean, it's a cozy murder mystery book, and it's sad about the victim, but it's cozy, you know? I really enjoyed reading about these characters in this small town, it was so cute to read, and I'm excited that this is the start of a series!

Besides the circumstances of how she inherited the bookshop, the whole her uncle died, that he was murdered, and that she's suspected of doing it, this would kinda be my dream, to have a bookshop. Selling books, being around books all the time, it'd be so fantastic!

The mystery of who killed him, was tied to the reason of why. And finding out why-and the where of the why, was interesting. Before one discovery, I thought it was going to be in the coffee tin, since it was mentioned twice. Alas, I was wrong!

I had two ideas of who I didn't want it to be. And I'm so glad that it wasn't, because I didn't want it to be either of them, so I was pleased that it wasn't! I was wobbling of who it could've been, and when we got to the end, well, the bad guy suddenly made sense!

So for the future books, there's a few things. Like clearing her name of what happened that had her fleeing to Hokes Folly. I have a suspicion about her ex. And then the romantic relationship that bloomed in this book. I can't wait to see more of the two of them together!

I really enjoyed reading this book, and I'm excited to read more of this series!

Author: Laura Gail Black
Series: An Antique Bookshop Mystery #1
Read: August 26th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Crooked Lane Books
Expected Publication: September 8th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!